Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Work Ethic

"Let us realize that the privilege to work is a gift, that power to work is a blessing, that love of work is success." --David O. McKay


Today I went to Google to pull up the website for the California Dept of Motor Vehicles to check the CA permit for one of my clients. And when I pulled up Google, I saw that Estelle Getty had passed away. Estelle played Sophia on The Golden Girls TV show and I loved her to bits as I loved the rest of the Golden Girls and the show itself.


My first thought was to call my mom because I know she loves them as well. I called mom and she was cleaning her kitchen counters at around 11:45am simply because the grout was dirty. I let her know that Sophia had died and we talked about how sad that was for a little bit and then she asked me what I was doing. I told her I was at work but that I was just goofing off for a little while. And you know what she told me? She told me..."Do you know that goofing off at work is a sin?"


That is why my post today is about work ethic. That's the way we were raised, by parents that understood the meaning of hard work and of giving your boss 100% of the time that they are paying you to give them.

My parents both were and are hard working people. My dad was blessed to have a job he loved, being a farmer and working with agriculture. He still has a little garden in their backyard, I'll post some pictures later. My mom was a homemaker her whole adult life. She did work in a packing shed for a little bit and she loved that as well, but duty at home made her come back to being a full time homemaker. And neither of them ever thought about shirking their duties or looking at their jobs as labor. They were both doing what they loved to do simply because it needed to be done.

At this time, with the job market the way it is, with the unemployment rates we are seeing, I know that I am blessed to have my job and it's a privilege to have it; as the quote I used above says. I am fortunate that I love it. I thank my parents for teaching me to have work ethic as a youngster and for reminding me about work ethic in my advanced age of 50 years :-)



In loving Memory of Estelle Getty
Born: July 25, 1923 - July 22, 2008





1 comment:

  1. Estelle Getty God bless her. Not many people leave such a lasting mark on the world. For years to come she will add happiness and joy to other peoples lives.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment.I would love to know your thoughts!