Thursday, January 22, 2009

Reflections from a Mother's Heart

Describe what the family living room looked like when you were a child.
I've already said in previous reflections that my family moved around ALOT! So it's pretty hard to describe what the living room's looked like in all the homes. What I do remember is we sat on the floor in front of the tv alot. It was always so much more comfortable than sitting on the couch, but I sure wouldn't dream of sitting on my floor now.

I remember my dad always had a recliner and he would fall asleep and we would crawl around on top of him and on the floor and played and he never yelled at us and my mom never tried to make us be quiet because Daddy was sleeping, they just both let us be kids.

I remember when we lived in Calipat, on the other side of the canal, we had a huge pool table in the middle of the living room and we played on it all the time. We loved it.

I remember when we bought the first house my parents ever owned. That was around 1978 or so and I can remember going with my mom and my brothers and sister and going to see our new house when they gave her the key. We all just sat there on the living room floor looking at our new home. The living room seemed soooooo huge! But we filled it up quick, with furniture, family, fun and love.

It's funny how the material things fade away...decor, furniture, paint and appliances; toys, bikes, books and clothes; but the things that never fade are the memories and the feelings that my parents made for me and my siblings.

"A happy childhood can't be cured. Mine'll hang around my neck like a rainbow, that's all, instead of a noose." ~Hortense Calisher, Queenie, 1971

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment.I would love to know your thoughts!