Monday, January 1, 2024

Welcome 2024!

 In my last post I mentioned I am going to begin blogging more often, so here I am. I mean how can I start the new year out without working on my goals.

I hope you all had a fabulous New Year, mine was nice and quiet, just like I wanted it to be...well except for the fireworks, that was awful. I hate that part and don't know why people find such joy in it. I think the real reason I hate it is because it scares little Chorizo to death!


She's not scared in this picture, but she is modeling the new sweater that I crocheted for her. I started this sweater a bit after Thanksgiving and while it was a super easy pattern to make I had to keep "frogging" it. Frogging is a crocheters term which means you have to "rip it, rip it" out and start over from where you messed up. I didn't really mess it up, but it was hard getting the sizing correct and she did not cooperate, she's a bit of a Diva!

I'm having a really great time crocheting though. I had promised myself that I would only do one project at a time and not start a new one until that one was done. I lied to myself big time! Right now I have at least 8 WIP's (works in progress). Even the sweater above is still not done because I have to make the sleeves for her little arm holes, but I'll finish that tonight.

Would you like to see some of the projects that's I've finished for 2023? Yes? Well thank you, cause I'd love to show you.


So I did this crocheted pumpkin pie for my table at Thanksgiving, everyone raved about it. I used a tutorial from Bag O Day Crochet, but she didn't have the whipped cream around the top, she only had the dollop. My son said I should put whip cream around the top so I had to figure out how to do that, I think it came out pretty good and now I have something I can display every year. I'm thinking of trying a strawberry pie next.

I also did several pumpkins for Halloween and Thanksgiving, but I gave two to my sister and one to my sister in law and I didn't take pictures of them, but here is my lovely mom modeling a shawl I made for my cousin Lydia who is battling Stage 4 Cancer and I was hoping this would keep her warm and cozy while she goes through Chemo. In the background, you can see some of the pumpkins I crocheted. 



This yard was so soft! I bought the same yarn in a different color to crochet a shawl for me but I haven't had time yet, but it's on my to-do list for 2024.


Back of the shawl. It's pretty big, more like a triangular blanket.


And here's my lovely model after she got into the swing of things. My mom is really a character. Can you believe she turned 87 last month???

Two more things, one is a beanie that I crocheted for my son. This one was a challenge because I worked with an all cotton yard, but he loved it and I think it looks great on him.


Last but not least, I crocheted these two sweet little birds as Christmas ornaments to go along with the gift cards I purchased for my two coworkers, I love these birds and plan to make many more.  Aren't they so flipping cute!!!


So I'm gonna go now, need to finish that armhole in Chorizo's sweater and I want to relax and watch TV since I've been on the run all day.

Again...Happy New Year, may we all have all our dreams and needs fulfilled in the coming year!


6 comments:

  1. Alicia you're a great crochet talent! The shawl on your Mom is amazingly beautiful! (She's a perfect model). The beanie for your son has great design and a beautiful blue color!
    Chorizo's sweater , the crocheted pumpkin pies, and the two birds are awsome! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you DUTA! I started out just doing it to keep my hands busy in the evening so that I would snack on chips and candy and it's worked. Now I just have to get some sleep because I'll start crocheting and before you now it it's 11 pm!

      Delete
  2. Thanks for writing about your mom on my blog. What you wrote made me happy and then coming here and seeing you and your mom, is so great. She's beautiful and much loved, I can see that, read that. Happy New Year to you both.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, thank you for stopping by and for commenting, I really appreciate it!

      Delete
  3. I live with a crocheter, but she doesn't get into it to your extent. She has made some great throws/afghans. You might like this old post. https://anvilcloud.blogspot.com/2017/02/the-afghan-explained.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow....that afghan is amazing. I started to leave a comment but my lunch hour was over, but I will go back and comment. She is very talented! Thank you for sharing, I'm trying to follow more crocheters, so this is a good start!

      Delete

Please leave a comment.I would love to know your thoughts!