Friday, January 19, 2024

Waiting for Alzheimers - It Runs in the Family

     I know, it's a strange title, but stick with me. 

     My earliest memories of my maternal grandmother were of visiting her house and at the end of the visit we would find things missing that we had brought with us, toys, keys, purses. My aunts who were her caretakers always knew where they were, they were in her petaquilla a Spanish word for an old-fashioned steamer trunk. I thought my grandmother was just putting things away for safe keeping. No, this was just a symptom, keep reading.

   
 My grandmother was a smart lady and a believer in tough love! I remember once, when I was a little girl, I had a fingernail that I had smashed in a door; it was almost ready to fall off, just hanging there, but I would not let anyone touch it. My grandmother asked to see it and I right away put my hand behind my back, she kept asking and promised she only wanted to look at it, she would not touch it. My mom warned me to be respectful, so I tentatively reached my hand out to my grandmother and she yanked that little fingernail off before I had a chance to blink or register pain! Everyone laughed at the look of astonishment on my face and off I went to rejoin my cousins and play.


My Maternal Grandmother Tomasa, my mother is her namesake

     Several years later we visited my grandmother who lived with her two daughters that were her caretakers. I remember arriving and seeing her in her wheelchair, her gnarled fingers clutching the arm rails. My mom hugged her as did my dad and siblings but I was fearful, my mom insisted. This was not the grandmother that I remembered, she had never been a very affectionate grandmother, being rather stern and serious as you can tell from the picture above; but now she wasn't even really there, she was muttering strange things and looking down, she never looked up, even when her daughter, my mother, her baby, the youngest in the family, walked in. 

     My mother was getting upset that I would not greet my grandmother so I forced myself to go up to my grandmother and reached out my arms to her. I led head first, not wanting really to put my body at risk of getting too close to her, in case I had to take off running. Big mistake...she grabbed my ponytail and started moving her arm left then right, then left again and my little legs struggled to keep up with her arm and I began hitting her, her legs, arms, I wasn't really aiming, just trying to save myself. I was screaming and crying and terrified!

     My aunts grabbed her arm and held it steady while they pried her death grip off my ponytail, finger by finger until I fell at her feet, crying and sobbing and my mom reached down, pulled me up, swatted me on my butt and told me to never hit my grandmother again.

     I didn't know it then, but I know it now, my grandmother had Alzheimer's Disease and it was pretty advanced by this time. She got gradually worse and eventually died from it.

    She died from it and she also lost a son and three daughters from it. My mom has told us for years that she was going to get Alzheimer's it runs in her family. We kept reassuring her that she would not and she would get angry with us. I think to her it was a badge of honor. Her people died of Alzheimer's and dammit, she would too.

Mom in red was about 5 years ago, the older picture is when she met my dad around 1956'ish

    Mom just turned 87 this December. She still walks and talks and does her own laundry and cooks her own food. She loves shopping and watching YouTube videos about beading and jewelry making. She makes beautiful bracelets and earrings and rosaries. She sews blankets, quilts, bags, hats, dresses, almost anything you can think of, she can sew it. She still keeps track of her four kids and keeps us in line and that's not an easy task!

    She has a mind like a steel trap, she doesn't forget anything. I'm so happy that Alzheimer's didn't get her, even if it is the disease of her people, the chain had to be broken along the way. I'm hoping all four of her children, their children and their children's' children will never get that awful disease. 






8 comments:

  1. Oh, that is so sad that so many of your relatives had Alzheimer’s. None of my grandparents had it (they died at ages 59, 78, 79, and 93) so it’s possible some didn’t live long enough. However, my dad died from vascular dementia at age 85 (he had numerous heart attacks beginning at age 59) and my mom is currently 84 and her dementia began at around age 81. My husband’s mother had Alzheimer’s. We are both VERY concerned and have dedicated ourselves to healthy eating and exercise. Not much else we can do. I hope you can escape it, like your mother! She sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry to hear of your mothers struggles, it's very difficult to watch, I'm sorry for the loss of your dad. I lost mine 10 years ago and I still miss him every day. He was the only man (other than my son) that I could ever count on. I believe all my moms crafting and beading and sewing is what keeps her mind active and kept her from developing dementia, so I try to keep my mind active too. Take care and thank you for commenting.

      Delete
  2. Athough the genetic factor is dominant, circumstances also play a role in this. I had two neighbors a mother and a daughter. The mother, a widow, got Alzeheimer at the age of 70, the daughter earlier, at about 63. I believe it was her very bad marriage that caused that. The mother died at age 90+, the daughter under 70. May they both rest in peace!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As with almost any disease/illness, genetics and circumstances both play into it. Stress is what probably did it for the daughter, or maybe she felt like she failed and let people down, no one really knows what goes on in other people's heads. I agree with you, may they both rest in peace.

      Delete
  3. it is an awful disease, for everyone involved, everyone suffers. your mom is a beautiful woman, i am happy she was spared. we are dealing with it now, my mother-in-law. she remembers every detail from when she was 10, but nothing from 10 minutes ago. the fingernail story made me smile, just a little!! have a great weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so sorry for what she and the family are going through. There are a lot of commercials lately about how some people with dementia get violent and mean. My grandmother was, but since she was in a wheelchair she couldn't really do anything violent. It's a sad disease. My mom's sister had it and when my sister and I would go to visit her she would recognize us and give us a big smile, but she didn't remember her own children. That broke their hearts.

      Delete
    2. ooooh i forgot to answer your question. i don't know how to make crispy bell peppers, they came with the meal kit. they were so good...maybe google will tell me, they were not frozen!!

      Delete
    3. Oh, I know the ones you mean. I googled them and I've had them before. You can buy them in the stores. I don't know if they are fried or dehydrated, but they are like a healthier version of a Funyun. You can get the crispy bell peppers or jalapenos. I guess they are more like the crispy onions people put on their green bean casseroles at Thanksgiving. I love them and love adding them to salads and sandwiches!

      Delete

Please leave a comment.I would love to know your thoughts!