Monday, June 14, 2010

I won't wear ugly shoes!

For those who haven't been reading the few posts I've written for the past couple of months, I'll bring you up to date.

I'm an old crippled woman! Seven weeks ago I was an active, healthy, spry, energetic, vital woman...and now I'm an old crippled woman!

Why? How? You ask. Well ...simply put, Sciatica. Sciatica kicked my butt and made me an old crippled woman! Now instead of being active, healthy and spry; I'm limping and making groaning noises when I get out of a chair. Instead of being energetic and vital I get exhausted simply by taking a shower or making my bed!
Ahhh, the good old days are behind me now, at least until this pain goes away and I am back to normal.

One of the downfalls to having sciatica is that I can no longer wear my pretty shoes. Now I'll admit it, I'm vain. I like to look good. I enjoy wearing pretty things. I won't leave the house without full makeup and my hair being done. But Sciatica has taken that all away from me, like a thief in the night, like the income tax man on April 15th, like...well you get the picture.

Because of the weakness in my left leg I have to be very careful when I walk, especially if I'm going up stairs because that leg will suddenly just give out and I crumble like a wet noodle! Awww but Vanity, thy name is woman.

For the past three weeks I have been forced to go to work in one of two pairs of pants I own that are short enough that I can wear my Skechers Sneakers. The ones that resemble these.
I have to wear the lowest heel possible so that I don't die from the pain of walking and also so that I don't fall down. Saturday I decided that I would try to find some dressier black shoes with no heels. Something that would still make me feel sleek and feminine, ok... maybe not sleek cause that would take more than shoes but you know what I mean. Unfortunately, most of the shoes with flat heels all fell under the category of shoes like these:

Oh Sciatica...you may have made me cry and beg for mercy; you may have made me writhe in pain and go days without a shower. You may have made me leave my house with no makeup and greasy hair on the way to the emergency room and to physical therapy. You may have made me dizzy and groggy with your need for medication...but I tell you this!!! Sciatica...as God is my witness...I will never wear ugly shoes!!!!

9 comments:

  1. HA! You are too funny! I have faith you will find some shoes that are comfortable and cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG you poor thing! I had the same thing in March. I wanted to die! I couldn't sit, stand, sleep or lay down with out crying! I found no relief not even when I cried! LOL Whenever I can't sleep I always find something to do on the computer cuz it makes my eyes tired. But even that didn't work since I couldn't sit! I hope you feel better soon. I don't know how you can manage to work. Thank goodness I didn't have to do that. My husband said he was going to strap me to the hand truck and wheel me around! :( He's such a sweetheart!

    Where are you in California? I'm in Roseville now but originally from the bay area.

    Take care of yourself and hope you feel better soon.
    Denise

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are too funny Alicia! Have you tried Aerosols? When I was having trouble and had to give up my high heels for a while, I found Aerosols to work for me. Sure they are a tad expensive but you can find them on sale or at the outlet stores. Either way, they are well worth the money.

    ~ Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've allowed myself to smile at your funny repetition of "I'm an old crippled woman", as I know you'll be OK. You just have to have some more patience; it takes time.

    As for shoes. High heels are not recommended even without sciatica. Maybe you could find and adapt to high platforms; it's less harmful than high heels.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Braley Mama - Summur, thanks so much for hanging in there with me and for your prayers. If you have faith I will find cute, comfortable shoes then by golly...so do I!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Denise@alloverroses - Ahhh, my partner in pain! I cannot believe how many people have been afflicted with this horrible illness. We need a foundation, the Sciatica Foundation for Research and Pain Management (SFRP)! But then someone would want to have a Sciatica Walk and well,ummmmm, we Sciatica stricken can't walk can we? But we can always use your sweethearts idea and just get wheeled around in a hand truck :-)
    I'm in Bakersfield. I'll have to google just where Roseville is.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ms. Bake-it: I'm going to have to try finding some Aerosols, it's just that I hate to spend good money on flats you know? I don't mind spending it on heels, but I guess cause I'm short I've never been partial to flats. But thanks for the tip, I'll google them and find out where I can find them locally.

    ReplyDelete
  8. DUTA - I'm glad I was able to make you smile. I know it's going to get better as I feel better and stronger every day, but it is trying my patience!!!

    Even when I do get better I think I may be too scared to have a relapse to ever wear heels again...we shall see. But thank you for checking up on me my friend, I appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, honey....you poor thing! As if the agony of siatica itself wasn't enough, right??

    Just a thought...but maybe you could look for something at Zappo's online? If you can't find something that meets your criteria there, it's not anywhere, I'm thinking.

    Has anyone mentioned what one can do to avoid this from happening in the future?? THAT's what I wanna know!

    Feel better soon, sweets.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment.I would love to know your thoughts!