Sunday, September 7, 2008

Cheesecake Fiasco

For my birthday this year, my boss baked a cheesecake for me that was "to die for". There was a small piece left so I brought it home for my son Jim. He loved it! So much so that he said that was what he wanted for his birthday instead of birthday cake. His birthday was August 19th and my energy level was really, really low at that point, so I told him I would bake it after my surgery. So that's what I did today.

Here's the recipe and then I'll tell you what I did wrong!

Crust:
1 1/4 c. Graham Cracker Crumbs
1/4 c. sugar
1/8 lb butter

Filling:
2 eggs
1 lb. Cream Cheese
1/2 c. sugar
1 t. vanilla

Topping:
1/2 pt. Sour Cream
2 T. sugar
1/2 t. vanilla

Filling, bake 10 minutes at 375 degrees. Topping bake 5 minutes at 375 degrees.

Ok, so I did all pretty good up to baking the filling. I took the cake out of the oven and immediately tried to pour the topping on top of the filling as I didn't have any actual instructions. I should have let the filling cool for 15 or 20 minutes, then poured the topping on top. So the way I did it, the topping just went plop, into the middle of the cake. I'm still waiting for it to cool off so we can taste it. I assume it will still taste good but we won't get topping in every bite and in some bites we will get nothing but topping! :-(

Here's some pictures. Looks like a big foot in the middle huh? I'll let you know how it tastes.

Ok, here's a slice. It didn't set up real well, but I think that's due to the fact that the filling is so heavy and it wasn't spread out. But let me tell you....it tastes so gooooooooood. It's pretty sweet, so one small slice per person would be more than enough. I can't wait to make it again and have it come out the right way. The crust was really good. My son said it tasted kind of salty so maybe I'll use unsalted butter next time, but it was crispy and good.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment.I would love to know your thoughts!