Wednesday, September 13, 2017

Dead Men Tell No Tales and some Zombie Fish!

Wow, it's been a while since I've done a post. I've actually started a couple but they seemed dark and sad with my thoughts on all that is going on in our world and that's not normally me. I like to keep it light and happy, because in all truth, this is my happy place.

When I start writing about things I'm excited or happy about it keeps me in a good mood. So I'm going to put all thoughts aside for a few moments on all that is going on in our world and just share some of my artwork.

I've said before, I'm late to this "art thing" and I wish I had realized earlier how much I would grow to love it because I would have started sooner. But, I'm making the best of it now. This coming Monday I start up with my art classes again and I can't wait! The instructor Alex is awesome at encouraging us to do what we feel in our heart. Last year I was a total newbie, but this year I have a little bit more experience under my belt and with his guidance I hope to grow even further.

Because the weather has been just one degree cooler than the surface of the sun, I have not been painting as much with acrylics. It's just too hot! So I've continued doing my mixed media art journal paintings. I've joined a Facebook group that gives a weekly prompt. The Admin for the group posts the prompt, along with a photo of her page and a YouTube video of her process in creating the page. It's a great way to learn new techniques and she's amazing.

This week the prompt was "The Sea". She did a great page with a Seahorse. She used modeling paste to make the ocean bed and some additional paste in the part that would become the ocean. I followed her direction as far as that and then went off on my own interpretation of the sea, which turned into a pirate with a treasure chest and a pint of ale, some zombie fish and a steam punk seahorse.



This was completed in 3 days as I took my time and you have to when you have that much modeling paste layered on. I really love it. It's hard to see all the shading and details, but the treasure chest coins have been painted gold and then I added glitter, which is not noticeable at all in this photo.

What you can see is the texture the modeling paste created at the bottom of the page. It made all those bumps and waves that make it look like the bottom of a sandy ocean. In the sea part you can see how using texture there made the paint go on in layers of white, light blue, turquoise blue and dark blue. I used those colors in acrylic paints and added them with a simple foam makeup pad that I purchased in a pack from The Dollar Store.

So that's what I've been up to. It's been keeping me sane with all the craziness in the world. What do you do to de-stress? What's your happy place?

Alicia~

4 comments:

  1. It's great to see you posting again.

    How do I De-stress? I can't do anything, so I don't know. Is the answer.
    But having the control to do things helps a little. I have given up smoking and become a vegetarian. I don't have sugar in my drinks anymore. I'm open to suggestion about other things I could do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All I can suggest is to keep blogging and writing as you seem to enjoy it and I'm sure it helps with stress. Thanks Treey for stopping by :)

      Delete
  2. About your art, as they say "better late than never".
    Good Luck with your art class of this year! Glad you like instructor Alex.
    Art is a great means of de-stressing. Nice texture manipulations in your painting "The Sea"!
    There are many things that help me control stress. No one in particular that I can mention or elaborate about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks DUTA. Class is tonight and I am very excited about it! I can't wait to learn new things. Maybe I'll do a post about some of Alex's work. He's such a great artist!

      Delete

Please leave a comment.I would love to know your thoughts!