Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Sciatica Pain has got me down again!

     I am suffering from an ailment more painful than childbirth! I kid you not! I've given birth naturally and by C-section and I would rather give birth to 100 babies in a row than to suffer Sciatica for even one day!

     Back in April of 2010, Sciatica hit me for the first time. It was so bad that I was off of work for almost a month, had to go to Urgent Care about three times, Emergency room once and had to go to physical therapy. I had almost decided back then that I would have to go on disability as I could work. I couldn't sit, stand, lay down or do anything without excruciating pain.

     Because of Sciatica, I can no longer wear beautiful shoes. No more sexy heels, just flat, ugly manly looking shoes. Because of Sciatica I have a deathly fear of Escalators!

     Well it's baccckkkkk! I've felt it coming on slowly for about two weeks now. For those of you that don't know what Sciatica is...

Sciatica (pron.: /sˈætɪkə/; sciatic neuritis)[1] is a set of symptoms including pain that may be caused by general compression or irritation of one of five spinal nerve roots that give rise to each sciatic nerve, or by compression or irritation of the left or right or both sciatic nerves. The pain is felt in the lower back, buttock, or various parts of the leg and foot. In addition to pain, which is sometimes severe, there may be numbness, muscular weakness, pins and needles or tingling and difficulty in moving or controlling the leg. Typically, the symptoms are only felt on one side of the body. Pain can be severe in prolonged exposure to cold weather.
Although sciatica is a relatively common form of low back pain and leg pain, the true meaning of the term is often misunderstood. Sciatica is a set of symptoms rather than a diagnosis for what is irritating the root of the nerve, causing the pain. This point is important, because treatment for sciatica or sciatic symptoms often differs, depending upon the underlying cause of the symptoms and pain levels. Sciatica is also referred to as Lumbar Radiculopathy,[2] which involves compression of the sciatic nerve roots caused by a herniated (torn) or protruding disc in the lower back.

     On Monday I was able to hang in there at work until 2pm, then Tuesday I toughed it out until 3pm. Today I got up and was determined to go to work but after a restless night of hardly any sleep as I could not find a position that was comfortable and pain free, I decided "the heck with it, I'm staying home!"

     I've been doing all the recommended exercises and stretches. I have a TENS unit that I apply three times a day but nothing is really helping at this point. I know that it just has to run it's course and go away by itself.

     I hope it's soon though as I have a huge family reunion to attend in Arizona in February and there will be games and dancing and other activities and I sure don't want to be sidelined, if I am even able to attend as it will be a 6 hour drive!

     So for now I'm going to go take a little walk as movement is better than bed-rest when you have Sciatica, and I hope to be able to go back to work tomorrow. Wish me luck!

 

4 comments:

  1. That sciatica is a killer. I have also suffered from it, but I don't know about comparing it to childbirth. But I get what you are saying. Chilbirth is for hours and sciatica is for weeks. LOL! Either way, it's a lot of pain. I hope you feel better soon so you can go back to work and enjoy the family reunion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh trust me...it's worse than childbirth...lol. But yeah Sciatica is for weeks & childbirth is hours, but then you have all those years of raising that child...lol. I think that's what gave me sciatica, stress from work and children :) Just kidding

      Delete
  2. Gads Alicia, your pain sounds through and through miserable. Try to take it easy and rest up. I hope you recover rapidly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is miserable Sextant. I've never experienced anything like this, I can't sit, I can't stand, I can't sleep, I can't walk and it's just getting worse. I can tolerate sitting as long as I sit on a heating pad at full force, thank goodness it's cold right now as I can't imagine sitting on this thing in the middle of July or August!

    But it is what it is and I just have to plod along until it gets better on it's own. I did find an ebook on some middle eastern/asian something or other that is guaranteed to provide relief from Sciatica in 7 days or your money back, so maybe that will help. At this point I am willing to try anything!!!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment.I would love to know your thoughts!