Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Reflections from a Mother's Heart

When did you first go to church? What are you earliest memories of church?

I was raised a Roman Catholic, which I still am to this day. I'm sure I first went to church just a few weeks after birth. My mom has always been very devout. The church I attended from birth was the one my parents were married in and I was baptized made my 1st Holy Communion in, it was St Helen of the Cross Catholic Church in Eloy, Arizona. I remember most my 1st Comm because of the beautiful dress I wore and I remember feeling like a princess because all my aunts and uncles were in the church...just for me and I was a little princess.

Honestly I think the church needs to rethink the whole 1st Comm process because kids that age don't understand what they are doing. I certainly didn't. My whole reason for being there was to wear the pretty dress and feel special and have a party thrown in my honor. Taking the Body of Christ is a decision that should be made by an adult who has the proper understanding of what they are doing.

But getting off my soapbox now, the second part of this question is what are my earliest memories of church. I remember

  • My mom, sister and I wearing matching dresses that my mom had sewn for us.
  • Older girls sitting behind me smiling at me when I would turn around and look at them and feeling so flattered that these pretty, older girls would even notice me.
  • The priest that taught us Catechism at a church in Harquahala, Arizona who played a recording for us that taught us about the birds and the bees (sex) and after gathering up my friends in the front seat of my mom's car and explaining sex to them now that I knew all about it.
  • In high school, it seemed like the priest there could read my mind. All the things I had been thinking during that week and all the things I was thinking of doing the next week...especially the bad things; this priest would preach about it and really make me think of the things I was doing in my life.

The Catholic Church has always held a special place in my heart. I have always loved the church, but I haven't always agreed with it. I am now more or less a lapsed Catholic. I just find the Catholic church to be a bit cold towards all the things that are important to me in my life. But I still love the church and what it represents and all the beautiful symbols and celebrations of the church.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment.I would love to know your thoughts!