Thursday, March 21, 2024

Thinking of making a HUGE purchase! Can't sleep!

     Do you remember all the big purchases you've made in your life? I certainly do! My first car, my first home, each of my children because face it, you have to pay for them and they don't come cheap!

    But I was young and ignorant when I made those purchases, The best time for making huge decisions when it comes to money is when you are young and ignorant because you have the rest of your life to fix mistakes. Making a big purchase now at the ripe old age of 65 is way more scary! Making it when also considering retirement in a few years just adds fuel the fire. 



    On March 18 of 2020 I was sent home from my job for the rest of my life! I didn't know it was for the rest of my life, well actually the rest of my work career...but it was and is. Due to Covid I've been a remote worker. When things got a bit back to normal we were offered the opportunity to continue working from home or go back to an office. Considering the fact that I had been commuting back and forth 25 miles one way each day for my job since 1979, I was way more than ready to never commute again...plus I no longer had a car.

    My daughter got into a car accident shortly thereafter and while she was not hurt, her car was a mess, so I offered her my car for the money she got selling her car. I didn't know at the time that I was never going back to an office, but I figured when the time came I would just buy a new car, it was time anyway.

    Well it's going to be 3-years since I was sent home forever and I still don't have a car. Since my mom lives with my, I've just been using her car, but I don't really go anywhere and when I do I take my mom so it's ok to use her car, or I go with my daughter and we use her car, or I go with my sister and we use her car...so I have not really needed my own car, although I've missed not having one to call my own.

    But I'm thinking now that it would be a good idea to buy a car now so that I will have it paid off by the time I retire. It's really a scary decision and it's been keeping me up at night. I know I can afford it and I'll be able to make the payments and the increase in insurance, but it's a big investment, a big responsibility but it's also so pretty!!!


    I know this will probably be the last car I ever own and I've always just bought the least expensive car with the best gas mileage since I had to commute so much. This time around, I want something pretty, something safe that will last me a long time.

    But I'm still having trouble sleeping. Do you guys think it's a good time to buy a car? 





6 comments:

  1. Go ahead, buy it! With all due respect to family, it's not good to depend on their car.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you DUTA! I totally agree with you. And also, sometimes if I borrow their car, I feel like I have to take them with me. If I have my own car, I can just take off if I just need to drive to clear my head. Hope all is well with you. Thank you for stopping by.

      Delete
  2. GO-4-IT, Alicia, you worked long and hard for it! I wish you well, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I have decided to go ahead, let the dealership know but they don't have any in stock in the color I want so it's going to be built in April and I should have it by early May. I'm so excited!!!

      Delete
  3. Well thank you! I know it's a good idea, a good plan but I did get a little insecure for a while and wasn't sleeping, but I'm ok now!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment.I would love to know your thoughts!