Wednesday, February 14, 2024

Weekly Wrap Up - Week of February 4th

***Full Disclosure - I started writing this on Monday, February 12th***

    I woke up this morning thinking about the weekly wrap up and what all I had done during the week of February 4th. Honestly, I should just do a "weekend wrap up" because all I do during the week is work and if I do anything vaguely interesting, I don't remember anyway!

    Monday thru Friday I just worked.

    Saturday Lisa and I had to do some shopping. We needed to start prepping for a family reunion in Arizona this upcoming weekend. We will leave Friday morning and return Monday.

     We each are donating a basket to the reunion committee for a raffle to raise money for the next reunion. The last reunion we had was March of 2020. The weekend before everything shut down due to Covid! 

    Lisa is also going to a conference in March and she needed to provide two baskets for a raffle at her conferences and she still had to put together a basket for the reunion and she had nothing! I just needed to buy a basket and the cellophane wrap for the basket once it was put together, so we went together. We went to the stores we needed to go to and got what we needed to get. We had a wonderful relaxing lunch at Casa Munoz and each had a Strawberry Margarita.

    Because it's such a long trip and we are taking our mom we had planned to drive up the week before with mom and leave her there with one of her nieces so that she could relax and visit and come the weekend of the reunion she would not be as tired as if she had driven up with us. 

    The way it was planned we were supposed to drive up there on Saturday the 10th, but we found out just a few days before that mom got the date wrong and we were supposed to meet our cousin and his mom halfway on Sunday, Feb 11th. On SUPER BOWL SUNDAY! What the heck??? I was devastated. I love football and I was so excited for the commercials and for watching two great teams, the Kansas City Chiefs (who I was rooting for) and the San Francisco 49ers go head to head, I knew it was going to be a great game and now I would have to miss is!!

    Plus, on Super Bowl Sunday, I always love to make a huge spread of goodies to eat and now I wouldn't have time to cook or anything good to eat because I would be on the road! 

    Sunday morning, we headed out around 9am to meet up with our cousin Michael and his mom Mary Lou in Ludlow. 


    As you can see it's about a 3-hour trip. 
We got to Tehachapi and we had to make a pitstop at a Love's Truckstop. I love Love's, they are so clean and nice and big. 

    We got as far as Barstow and mom was ready to eat. She didn't want a sit down meal, she just wanted something fast because it was already 11:45 and we were meeting Michael and Mary Lou at 1pm.

    We stopped at the famous Barstow Station where I had Panda and mom and Lisa had Wetzel's Pretzels, here is a YouTube video about this great place. Mom wants to stop and explore more on the way home.

    


    We had just sat down to enjoy our lunch when cousin Michael calls to advise us that we all forgot that California is an hour behind Arizona time!!! They were already there and we still had about 35 to 40 minutes to get where they were, depending on traffic. 

    But what traffic? Everyone in the world with any sense was at home getting prepared to watch the big game...the road was empty. I guess that was good as we got to them in about 35 minutes. We delivered mom to them and then Lisa and I started to the road back home.

    Since we figured, we were going to miss the Super Bowl anyway, or at least most of it, we decided to stop in Barstow and do some shopping at a Marshalls store they have there. It's a tradition to always stop there. 

    I bought a pretty blouse and an Easter Decoration for my home, it's a Jolie Fleur collectible from their Spring collection and she's just so cute!


    It was between this one and one other one. I wish I had bought the other one too, but I am going back through the area this coming weekend for the reunion, so maybe I will stop by and see if they still have it.

    From there we decided we needed an ice cream cone. We asked the cashier if there was a good place to get ice cream in Barstow and she looked at us like we were aliens and said "Oh, I don't eat ice cream." Ummm...trust me, she looked like she ate a lot of ice cream!

    But we have google maps and we found a Foster's Freeze and we each got a large vanilla cone and an order of their crispy, crunchy french fries. We got back on the road and I was home by 6pm and the game was still on, it was the last quarter and from what I understand the game was boring up until the last quarter, the last few minutes and the overtime anyway...so I really didn't miss much except for the commercials and the half time show.

    And gosh darn it...my daughter decided that it would not do for me not to have special food for Super Bowl. She made me some Jalapeno Poppers, which I love. They were so good, perfectly made!


    She also made this fabulous salad that she found on the Food Network made by Molly Yeh. It's her Crispy Chickpea Salad, you can find the recipe HERE

    Salad is not necessarily my go-to for a Super Bowl, but it really hit the spot. It was a very pretty salad.


    So all's well that ends well. Mom is in Arizona, visiting and enjoying herself. Lisa and I made it back safely. I got to watch the end of the Super Bowl and I had a fabulous feast. It was a great weekend.

    I will probably be late posting again for the week of February 12th because we aren't heading back from Arizona until Monday, February 19th and I'm sure I will be too exhausted from the Reunion and the long car trip to sit at my computer, but I'll share some fun photos when I get a chance.





8 comments:

  1. Bastow station looks a great place, indeed!
    I like it how you and Lisa plan and do things together; you're both sisters and good friends, and that's quite enviable!
    I also like it how you manage , between conferences and reunions , to sample some very fine food. Keep on enjoying the events, the places, and the food, Alicia dear!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you DUTA! Yes, we've been through so much together and it's brought us closer and closer. We have our moments, but before we get angry one of us will say, "let's agree to disagree" and that puts an end to that. We do have a lot of fun and are truly good friends.

      Delete
  2. i am so happy you were rooting for my chiefs and i was so happy they won. the 49er's played a great first half, that was only boring if you were a chiefs fan, i really enjoyed the second half and the overtime of course! i was a little confused about love's, was love's in barstow?? i watched the video (awesome place) but remained confused?! that's a very nice , new to you, easter decoration and it looks like your daughter did a nice job for the super bowl!! i'm not sure i would go anywhere and miss the game!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love's is a chain truckstop and there are probably hundreds throughout the country. The one we stopped at was in Tehachapi, California, a beautiful mountain town. There was snow on the mountains and it was a little chilly. The Barstow Station is in Barstow, California which is a couple of miles away from Tehachapi and out our route to Parker, Arizona. My daughter really did a great job, especially since I didn't have to do any of...always my fav part!

      Delete
  3. I do like the Easter Decoration you bought.

    All the best Jan
    https://thelowcarbdiabetic.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jan! I wanted to stop at the same store on the way home this past weekend but there just wasn't time.

      Delete
  4. yes yes yes to the jalapeño poppers! My favorite.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment.I would love to know your thoughts!