Friday, September 27, 2019

Memory of Going to Work with my Dad and Penny Candy

I just saw a post on Facebook that reminded me of my dad, here's the post...

When I was little we lived on the outskirts of a teeny-tiny little town by the name of Harquhala, Arizona. My dad worked as a ranch foreman for a company there and sometimes he would take me to work with him.

My dad in his Romaine lettuce fields
I loved going to work with my dad! Just being with him and having him give me little jobs to do made me feel so grown up and loved. 

One of the best things I liked is that all his workers knew me and every time they saw me they would give me money. Not a lot of money, a nickel here, a dime there, maybe a quarter once in a while...but by the end of the day I felt like Rockefeller (I'm sure at that time I didn't even know who that was).

Sometimes in a day I would have a whole dollar or more in change. My dad would take me to the only store in this little town. It was probably called Harquahala Market, I don't really remember. What I do remember is that they had penny candy at that time. PENNY CANDY! Rows and rows of penny candy and with a dollar in change I could get 100 pieces of candy! 100 PIECES!

I was in hog heaven! I would fill up a little brown paper bag with all the goodies. It was a great time and a great memory of a day spent with my dad. I sure miss him!

Love you dad!



4 comments:

  1. Rows of penny candy... That would've made my day too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, I was living the dream when I was a little kid! :)

      Delete
  2. A beautiful tribute to your precious father! I think penny candy should come back! LOL! Big Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, he was a great man and the best dad a daughter could ask for! Wouldn't that be great if it came back...lol! I don't think there is anything you can buy for a penny anymore.

      Delete

Please leave a comment.I would love to know your thoughts!