Tuesday, June 18, 2019

Still Healing...when will it be over...part two

To catch up and read part one click HERE.

Ok, so now I'm in a sound-proof room with Dr. S and Steve the Enforcer! I lay down on the table; why do they call it a table when you only lay or sit on it? Like the operating table, they perform surgery on it, yet they don't call it the operating bed or platform...it's a table!

Anyway, I'm on the table and Dr S takes my left arm and looks soulfully into my eyes as he says, "I'm going to just pull and bend the wrist down ok? It's going to hurt for just a few seconds and then I'm going to hold it in place while Steve applies the new cast. You ready?" Am I ready? Am I ready? NO! Of course I'm not ready! I was never ready for this whole fiasco! But as I said before in my last post, I'm a realist and the reality is that it was something that had to be done!

I remember when I was giving birth to my daughter and during the labor pains I suddenly just started to get out of bed and told my husband, "I can't do this, I don't want to do this, I'm done and I'm going home!" It didn't work then and it wasn't going to work this time either so I just laid back and said "I'm ready!"

I really wasn't ready, oh hell I wasn't ready! When I fell it all happened so quickly that I didn't feel the immediate break, but I felt this one and it hurt like nothing I'd ever imagined. He pulled and bent and I saw stars and it seemed to take forever but I didn't want to scream or cry. At the last minute before he told Steve to go ahead  and prep the cast, I did let out a groan and I tried to raise my head, Steve of course held me down and told me to just hang on a second and he would help me up. Both of them helped me into a sitting position, with Dr. S holding my wrist in place the whole time.

Steve turned around to start preparing the cast and Dr. S said "You did great! I've had grown men cry and try to hit me when I do this and you did so great!" I'm sure it was the delirium of my pained mind but I said, "Yeah, I'm a soldier. My dad always said that I have bigger balls than both my brothers and they were Marines!" He and Steve just busted up laughing and Steve put on the new cast. The first layer was so warm and soothing to my poor brokenness and really helped. 

The new cast was less bulky than the first one but it was still just a temporary cast. Dr. S told me to take my time, sit and catch my breath but I just wanted to go home! So he gave me some instructions and told me my prescription would be ready at the pharmacy down the hall and he walked me out. 

I picked up my meds and got in my car and I gotta admit, I was feeling pretty proud of myself for being so brave. Sad that when you're an adult you don't even get a sticker or lollipop when you are brave at the doctor, but then again I did get some pretty good meds.

I drove myself home to begin the next step in the healing process!

~~~More to come, stay tuned

5 comments:

  1. Oh ugh! I cried and groaned just reading this!!! You are a brave woman and you deserve a sticker and a lollypop!!!! WOW! Prayers for quick healing! Annster's Domain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! So far so good, healing right along but this has not been quick or easy! Stay turned and thanks for commenting. I went over to visit you and learned about Lychee Nuts!

      Delete
  2. Well, it seems these two guys Dr. S and Steven, were the right ones for you.
    Healing takes a lot of time, but, if you get rid of the pain, things go smoother.
    After the doctor's manual intervention you were probably left with a lot of pain. I would have dreaded this and dreaded the need to take meds. But let's hear your side of the story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been lucky that in the emergency room in Arizona I was taken care of by some really nice people and so far it seems to be continuing. Surprisingly once he set it, it was not as painful as you would think. My mom and sister were both upset with me that I drove myself home but I was really ok. I did take one of the pain pills when I got home, but I haven't taken any since. I'm not really a believer of pain medication and hate the way they make me feel. I'd rather just take Aleve if I have to.

      Delete
  3. "I'm done and I'm going home!" I shouldn't be laughing...

    "I've had grown men cry and try to hit me when I do this" Guilty as charged...

    You have every reason to be proud of yourself :)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment.I would love to know your thoughts!