Friday, June 7, 2019

Still Healing...when will it be over!

So I mentioned in my previous post that I had broken my wrist on a recent trip to Arizona. Well it's now been over a month and it's still broken and I have to admit, I'm sick of it!

So we got back on April 15th and the 16th I returned to work. I know you may think that was crazy, but I figured I could sit broken at home, way too close to the refrigerator or I could sit broken at work and at least be productive!

I was able to get in to see an orthopedist on April 19th, 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Above written 5/22 19~~~~~~~~~~

Ok, so I wrote the above a few weeks ago. Took me forever just to type that little bit, so I ran out of time and energy and quit. 

So to continue... on April 19th I finally got to see the man that became my orthopedist Dr. S. X-rays were taken and he agreed that it was indeed broken. He gave me 3 options:

1. Do nothing, let it heal on it's own and I would probably never again have full usage of the wrist/arm/hand ever.

2. I could have surgery where they would put in a plate and screws. I would have to take time off of work and face a longer recovery time.

3. Let him reset it that day in the office, apply a new temporary cast and send me home with some pretty good pain killers. I would still be able to return to work. He said this would be the best option for me.

Great choices right? Of course I opted for #3. 

He did explained to me that resetting my arm meant manipulating the wrist into the position that it is supposed to be in and that it would be very painful for a few seconds but that it would be the best option.

He said that there was an injection he could give me to ease the pain, but that the injection would be just as painful and probably would only ease the pain of manipulating the wrist slightly.

Even now thinking about it I feel sorry for the poor me of April 19th! But I'm a realist and I wanted this fixed as soon as possible with the least drama possible, So I said, "Handsome Dr. S, let's do this!" (He is a cutie!)

He took me into another room and brought in an ortho tech named Steve. Steve's job was two-fold, to apply the temporary cast after Dr. S set the wrist and to hold me down to prevent me from hitting Dr. S with my good arm or kicking him with my legs. Dr. S said this had happened to him before. 

He also told me that the room  was sound proof so that I could curse, or yell or cry as loudly as I wanted to and it would not upset other patients!!!

~~~Stay tuned for the next post

2 comments:

  1. I would have definitely chosen option one: get rid of the pain by applying ice for a day or several days, and let it heal on its own. When the pain subsidizes, I start doing proper excersises (not the ones at PT). That's exactly what I did when I fell on my shoulder. I went to the doctor 2-weeks after the fall !! with no pain because of the massive ice application. It took me, though, about 6 months until I was able to close the bra. I was retired, no hurry about work.
    Nowadays, no sign of fall or fraction, thank God.
    Feel well, soon Alicia dear!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you DUTA. I did consider option 1, but the pain was considerable and my hands are my paycheck. I needed to be able to get back to work as quickly as possible. I hope my healing will be as complete as yours and I'm happy yours was successful!

      Delete

Please leave a comment.I would love to know your thoughts!