Friday, March 30, 2018

Cheesy Zucchini and Red Onion Flatbread Recipe

Yet another delicious recipe that I want to save, so I'm blogging about it. 



But before I do post the recipe I just wanted to say that I am so grateful for all those wonderful cooks out there that are willing to share recipes and cooking knowledge. 

I am not a cook, I am a recipe follower, plain and simple. I envy those creative people that can just pull items out of the fridge and pantry and whip up a masterpiece, but I know that's not me!

I do think I'm a pretty good photographer though...isn't this picture gorgeous?


Ok, to the recipe. I made this exactly as the recipe explained, the only difference is I used a different cheese spread than what they called for. I used this one and it was very good, just the perfect amount of garlic.



Recipe:
Cheesy Zucchini and Red Onion Flatbread

Ingredients:

  • Nonstick Vegetable oil spray
  • 1 10-ounce tube refrigerated pizza dough (mine was actually 13.9 ounces and I used Pillsbury Pizza Crust brand)
  • 3/4 cup garlic and herb cheese spread (I used the whole little container pictured above 6.5 oz.)
  • 3/4 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese, divided
  • 3 tablespoons chopped fresh Italian parsley, divided
  • 1 small red onion
  • 1 7 to 8-inch long zucchini (green) cut crosswise into 1/8 inch thick rounds, divided
  • Olive Oil
  • Salt & Pepper to taste
Preparation:
  • Preheat oven to 400 degree F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper; spray with nonstick spray. 
  • Unroll dough onto parchment. 
  • Spread half of the herb cheese over one long half of dough, leaving 1/2 inch plain border.
  • Sprinkle with half of Parmesan and 2 tablespoons Parsley.
  • Using parchment as aid, fold plain half of dough over filled half (do not seal edges.)
  • Spread remaining herb cheese over top
  • Sprinkle with remaining Parmesan.
  • Removed enough outer layers of onion to yield 2-inch diameter core; cut into 1/8 inch thick rounds.
  • Arrange 1 row of zucchini down 1 long side of dough.
  • Arrange onion rounds in row alongside zucchini.
  • Arrange 1 more row of zucchini alongside onion.
  • Brush vegetables with olive oil, sprinkle with salt & pepper.
  • Bake until puffed and deep brown at edges, about 24 minutes.
  • Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon parsley
And that it is. Simple and delicious.
Recipe from the website: www.epicurious.com and you can find the recipe HERE if you want to compare it to mine above.

Oh and by the way...this one is definitely NOT low carb!














8 comments:

  1. Gorgeous picture indeed! Your food photos are always great!
    At present, I'm neither cook nor recipe follower (though I like to read them). I'm ,however, creative. I create my dishes to suit my own needs. When I have guests I might order some 'take away' to give them a choice.
    As for the above ingredients: I like zucchini and red onion. I like cheese too, but I use only low fat cheese.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love to read recipes as well and look at the pictures. I used to own hundreds of recipe books but then came the internet and all the great websites and I donated almost all of them, keeping just some of my favorites.

      I bet you are a good cook, like my mom and sister, able to just create dishes. I prefer the tried and true, less room for error :)

      Delete
  2. That looks delicious. I love red onions on pizza so I would love them on this too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a person who can't cook to save his life, I'm impressed that you can actually follow a recipe and make something delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Blue. I'm good at following directions :) What kinda bird is it that imitates other birds? I can't think of the name right now, but that is me, I can imitate to perfection both in cooking and art!

      Delete
    2. YES! A mockingbird. I can mimic and copy almost anything. I watch the shows on the food network like Chopped and they have to come up with a meal just using 5 ingredients and I would just stand there and cry with not a clue what dish I could prepare. It's a gift I believe, not crying but coming up with the dish!

      Delete

Please leave a comment.I would love to know your thoughts!