Monday, January 5, 2015

New Years Resolutions - To Make them or Not?

What is it about the start of a new year that makes us all sit down and reflect on the past year and how we can do better? How we can make resolutions to lose weight, take a class, be nicer, exercise more, you know the drill.

Why don't we look at the past year and at the things we've accomplished and build on them instead? Those are the resolutions I'm making for this next year. Not to say that losing weight isn't still going to be a part of my resolve in the new year, definitely after all the Tamales I ate on Christmas Eve and Day and the turkey with all the trimmings that I ate the day after Christmas.

......So sad! I started the above post on January 1st, with all the good intentions in my mind of getting this done and trying to post more often. Here it is the 5th of January and already I'm behind.

But just because I'm behind doesn't mean that I can't continue forward. For instance, there's this game that I play on Facebook called Puzzly Words. I love playing this game and I'm super addicted. So super addicted that I can play it for a couple of hours non-stop. Here's a print screen so you can see what I'm talking about.



So you see that there are 4 rounds and I have 60 seconds to make 3 words out of the letters shown. To the left you can see the smaller screen of the opponents I'm playing, Rob, Cookie and Sharon. I can see them out of the corner of my eye placing tiles and moving them around, but I can't see the actual letters so I don't know what words they are creating.

Now that I'm here, and there is no pressure and no little clock counting down, I can see the words EMERALD and EMERGE and MINERAL and OMNI and GALLON and RAINING...but of course, with no pressure it's much easier to see those words. This is what I came up with. I scored 15 points, Rob scored 22, Cookie scored 22 and Sharon scored 21. They all scored more than me!


You can see that I screwed up big time and placed the word LONED. I don't know what I was thinking, but I'll blame that error on the fact that I was trying to do print screen and save the game boards to show you so it slowed me down and messed up my concentration. Yeah...that's my story and I'm sticking to it!

The moral of the story here is that I could quit at this point. I probably can't catch up so why not just watch TV until the next three rounds go by and then try again in the next game. But instead I look at this and see the challenge and think to myself, "Self....you can catch up. You can not only catch up but you can beat these guys in the next three rounds! Don't quit, go for it!"

And you know what? Sometimes I do beat them and that feels great! But if I don't try, I will always be an underachiever, I will always be a loser. And even when I don't win, when I lose, like I did this time, well I know it's ok because I gave it my all and I have a chance in the next game to win! Right?


And so even though I didn't start my year like gang-busters just blogging like a maniac, I can do this one post, and maybe one tomorrow and I can get my writing mojo back in 2015...you never know. But I will continue to build on this one post! Happy New Year my two faithful readers!

What about you? Did you make any New Years Resolutions?

     

2 comments:

  1. That game looks hard. I don't usually do resolutions, they set me up for failure. But this year I am going to try to keep better track of my expenses and receipts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no...the game is super easy. But I love word games like that, especially timed games. I read a long time ago that games like that and puzzled and reading all help to keep your mind active to help to avoid Alzheimer and dementia in old age and I definitely don't want to have memory problems later in life...but sometimes they do stress me out.

      Your resolution is one I made too!!! I usually same all my bills and mail in a pile and only open it once a month, but I'm going to try to shred things that are junk on a daily basis and keep on top of my filing! I'll try to remember to check in with you at the end of the year to see how we did :)

      Delete

Please leave a comment.I would love to know your thoughts!