Tuesday, July 11, 2023

Crocheting While Watching TV

     My mom has always been a very crafty person and we grew up on a ranch with only a few channels on TV and not much to do, so she kept us entertained by teaching us to crochet, embroider, quilt, sew, almost all the fiber arts. 

When I was growing up in the 70’s, the big thing was embroidery on our jeans and blouses. It was the era of the love child and I can remember embroidering flowers and little birds all over my jeans! 

Embroidery on Jeans - Flower Power

I also remember taking Home Ec (Economics) in high school and one year Mrs. Watte had us sew a dress from the very beginning, choosing the pattern and fabric and pinning it down and cutting out the pattern then sewing it. As a grand finale of the project, we had a fashion show in the school cafeteria and our parents were invited. I had made the most gorgeous dress. I called it my Gypsy dress and it fit me beautifully. I wish I had a picture, but it looked like the white dress is this photo only it was not white. I can’t even remember the color of the dress, but I remember how it fit and how beautiful I felt wearing it!

My Gypsy Dress

When my daughter was born, I did a lot of sewing and when she started Kindergarten, I made dozens of dresses. I always made her Halloween Costumes and one year I went totally crazy and made her the most beautiful Snow White costume. It took me weeks to get just the sleeves right. It looked very much like this one only the skirt was a much brighter yellow. But after a while, she didn’t want the clothes that I made and wanted store bought so I quit sewing.

Those sleeves are hard to make!

Off and on I would start a crocheting project, I even started a Blue and Gold blanket for my daughter when she started high school as those were her school colors. She finished high school, her younger brother finished high school, all her cousins finished high school and that blanket never got finished. I finally donated it with all the yarn to the Goodwill…hopefully someone really did finish it.

Recently I wanted something to do at night while watching TV because I found that for sure “idle hands are the Devil’s workshop.” Eating while watching TV became a problem for me because I was becoming a snackaholic! I was putting on weight and I was not happy about it. I decided I needed to do something to keep my hands busy while watching TV and one day on YouTube, I found channel called Jayda In Stitches and she had done a year long project of crocheting what’s called a Mighty Mile-A-Minute Calendar Blanket. Here's her video if you want to check it out. 




I had quite a bit of yarn I had bought at The Dollar Tree, didn't know why I was buying it, but just thought it would be a good idea to have it on hand. I didn't quite follow her directions and did each strip with the same crochet stitch and she showed a different one every month, but it still turned out beautifully!

Mile A Minute

        That was so fun and I got so many compliments that I wanted to do another project. I remembered that I used to do a lot of crocheted doilies, so I thought of doing one but using yard instead of cotton thread, which made a bigger doily and then I turned it into a Wall Hanging and I love it!

First Mandala Wall Art, although mine is on a door.


Mandala Close Up

            

I had a lot of fun making this and it looks beautiful on my door in my bedroom. I'm working on two other ones now, but you never forget your first!

What crafts do you do and who taught you?






5 comments:

  1. I used to crochet when I was a young girl in the 80's but have since forgot how. I've tried picking it back up several times since the pandemic, but just can't seem to learn it again. I even took an hour long course with my best friend at the local make it craft center, but the instructor basically told us we were helpless LOL. I do love your blanket and think your wall hanging is amazing! I'm glad you've jumped back into a hobby that you love! I do arts and crafts all day long since my job involves using a laser. I made signs and kitchen wares, but I think I'd like to learn a new skill just for when I have down time. Maybe macrame.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I follow a youtube channel called Arne & Carlos and Carlos has a photographic memory, but early on during the pandemic he got Covid and he says that he developed brain fog. He's slowly getting his memory back, but he has a difficult time now knitting and talking or while being in a crowd. I've always wanted to learn macrame, it does seem fun.

      Delete
  2. My late mother was very prolific at crochetting. She made all sorts of things, even when her eyesight was minimal (She was a glaucoma sufferer). She was good at sewing too. I can sew
    (learned from Burda), but it's all a matter of practice. If you don't practice your skill is in decline.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so true! Practice is very important. I'm getting better at it little by little, the crocheting I mean. I'm enjoying it, but I find since I'm older I forget the patterns and had to write them down. Before I would just whiz along, knowing and remembering what the next stitch was supposed to be. Our mothers were/are pretty amazing!

      Delete

Please leave a comment.I would love to know your thoughts!