Monday, February 27, 2023

When a Book Grabs you and Reels you in

 I'm an avid reader and have to read something every day. Recently I've been really lucky in the books that I have found to read.

I don't buy books in book shops, although I would love to, I just can't fathom purchasing a book for $15 to $35 that I will read in a week or less, depending on how good it is. Last year I read 34 books; if I had paid $15 for each book I would have spend $510 in one year!! At $25 per book it would have been $850 and well, you catch my drift. 

So where do I buy my books you ask? Mostly at thrift stores, our local Goodwill has paperbacks for $1.00. I also buy them online from Thriftbooks.com but that is only when I can't find something that has been recommended to me and I don't want to wait to come across it at a thrift store.

So this is a long intro just to let you know that I bought this book for $1.00 and I'm about 3 pages into it and I'm ready to quit my job and just sit and read until I'm done and then cry when I can't pay my bills since I quit my job, but hopefully it will have been worth it!


Just the cover grabs you...a little boy sitting alone, is he the one being sold, why is he being sold? Who is selling him, who could part with a little child like this? 

The story takes place in 1931 and starts out with a newspaper reporter who is out on a different story but has to stop on a country road on a hot and dusty day to let his engine cool down. He picks up his camera and starts looking around, taking pictures as he goes and he hears a "plink, plink" sound and finds two little boys tossing pebbles into a can. He immediately takes their picture without noticing a sign next to them painted on a piece of old wood that says "Two Children for Sale". 

I read that and looked at the illustration of the sign itself and I was hooked! And that is why I want to quit my job and just read until I get the rest of the story.

What book has grabbed you like that? I just may be up all night long reading, but then again I may just read a bit here and there and savor it and make it last, kind of like how I eat a box of Chocolates!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment.I would love to know your thoughts!