Tuesday, May 24, 2022

Ojai - Ventura Sister Trip and Dad's Memorial Trip - Part Two

     Welcome to part two of the Sister trip that Lisa and I took on May 20, 2022. First part of it is here.

    After leaving the beautiful, friendly City of Ojai, we headed into Ventura where we had plans to eat at a restaurant called Limon y Sal (translated it means Lemon & Salt ).

Outside of the building. It looks very different now because they built an outdoor patio during the Pandemic and it remains to this day.

    We were really lucky to find parking right around the corner and we had a nice little walk to get there. We also found out they had blocked off Main Street at the beginning of the pandemic to allow vendors to offer outdoor seating and shopping and it continues to this day.

    On the weekend we were there, they had "Vintage of Main Street" where local vintage vendors sell a curated selection of vintage items. We were excited to go check everything out, but first things first, we were in need of Chips, Salsa and Margaritas!

Guacamole with a big hunk of queso fresco. Lisa had a Cucumber Daiquiri, I had the Limon y Sal Margarita blended with salt on the rim, both were delicious. They had an incredible Salsa also, hopefully there is a picture later as I didn't get a picture this time. 

    We decided to share the Chicken Fajitas because the guacamole they served was such a big portion and we were sure we could fill up just on that, but we wanted something more substantial.

    Their presentation was just beautiful! Just look at this! Along with the Fajitas, beginning in the upper left is a small bowl of refried beans sprinkled with cotija cheese; upper right...some MORE guacamole, bottom left is a bowl of Mexican Rice and bottom right is a bowl of Nopales, I'll share more about that in another photo below.


Close up of the Nopales. 

    Above is the photo of the Nopales. Nopal is Spanish for Cactus. My dad loved Nopales, so much so that he planted several cactus plants in his backyard. These looked like they were cooked and then made into a type of salad as they were cold. My dad would boil the Nopal and then he would fry it in a pan with scrambled eggs, sometimes with Chile Colorado. His looked very similar to the ones in the photo below. 

Nopales con Huevo aka Cactus with Egg

    The way that Sal & Limon served them was as a salad or side dish. The Nopal/Cactus is diced into the small green cubes you see above, then boiled in a pot with salted water for about 20 minutes, then drained and rinsed really well. While they are cooling off you dice up tomato, onion, jalapeno and cilantro, you mix in the nopal and then make a dressing of olive oil, lime, oregano and salt. It's a super healthy dish and I wish I like them, but I just never developed a taste for them, which saddened my dad to no end. 


Final photo of our food, the Mexican aka Spanish Rice and here you can see the Salsa in the background, it was fabulous!

    After paying Lisa and I walked the little Vintage Fair. We didn't buy anything, mainly we just wanted to walk some of the food off.

    On the way home we stopped at a Ross Store, which is one of our favorite stores. I bought a journal and a blouse, I can't even remember what Lisa bought.

    Our last stop was at a little fruit stand on the way home where we bought a flat of beautiful, huge strawberries and some pistachios.

    One more thing I want to share so I will always remember is the memory gift that Lisa bought me. 


    I just love this, the stones are so pretty and look a lot brighter in sunlight. I also love the four leaf clover charms so I will always have good luck! Thank you Lisa, I love you. You are my favorite sister!

    I purchased for her a coffee table book of photos of the City of Ojai that has some beautiful pictures. There is one of a beautiful sunset with the most amazing photo of a tree in black silhouette which we have already decided we are going to paint, stay tuned for us sharing our paintings sometime in the near future!

    I believe I will do one more post about the items that I bought at the Benjamin Franklin Craft store, so stay tuned for that as well. 






10 comments:

  1. Although not familiar with mexican food, I like the sight and sound of it. Words like guacamole, fajitas, salsa ring nicely in my ears.
    I feel moved by the exchange of the lovely gifts between you and your sister Lisa. You are a model to all siblings in the world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mexican food is very delicious and spicy, I hope some day you get to try some. The Spanish language is very beautiful, I'm like that I am fluent in Spanish. Thank you for your kinds words about my sister and I, we are quite the pair!

      Delete
  2. I do hope my comments are coming through ok?
    I enjoyed reading this, and your previous post.

    My good wishes.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jan, your comments were coming through just fine, but I had to approve them and time got away from me. Thank you for commenting though! :)

      Delete
  3. What a beautiful post about your sister-trip with Lisa. I enjoyed it a lot, thank you for sharing the journey. WOW, that Guacamole looks sooo delicious, makes me want to grab some chips and start munching! Wishing you a wonderful week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well thank you for commenting. I'm glad you enjoyed the post. The food there was absolutely delicious! I can't wait to go again.

      Delete
  4. I've re-read your post, and I must tell you, the food displayed 'made my mouth water', as they say. I like the city's name - Ojai, and the restaurant's building is quite interesting. Looking forward to your next post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The food was delicious and the presentation was so beautiful. It's a lovely place and I hope to go back and take lots more photos.

      Delete
  5. I love California, so your post was a delight. I’ve never had cactus besides the prickly pear fruit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Cactus is like okra, if you've ever had that. When you re preparing it, it's very slimey, maybe that's what throws me off. It has an earth flavor but tangy. You can find it in most grocery stores now, you should try it. It's very, very good for you.

      Delete

Please leave a comment.I would love to know your thoughts!