Monday, August 24, 2020

Grocery Shopping, Masks and Fires

      Yesterday mom and I ventured out to hunt and gather...that's pretty much how I think about grocery shopping in this new age of corona virus. 

     We first have to prepare our weapons before we head out. For mom a bottle of water, a mask, her inhaler, her cane and disinfectant wipes. 

     For me I  have to first have to apply my mask (makeup). I have not worn make up on a regular day to day basis since March 18th when we were sent from the office to work at home, there was just no need. So applying makeup when you're used to a fresh face was not much fun. Then gathering up my face mask, extra wipes, hand sanitizer, my phone and ATM card and my mom...we head out. 

     We had not been out of the house other than the front and back yard since the fires in California started. We have seen the news reports and the pictures and video but we were not prepared to the heaviness and thickness of the air and not being able to see any of the mountains surrounding us. 

     Here's a time lapse video from our local news station KGET, I hope you guys are able to see it, I had trouble getting it to show up.




     You can see how horrible the air quality is and it's not getting better anytime soon. Pair that with temperatures over 100 degrees and humidity, and let's not forget that there's an airborne killer disease out there on top of it and a mask...it was brutal. 

     I could have left my mom at home, God knows at her age and with her COPD and her age it was not the best idea for her to be out, but she's also human and I can't keep her locked up in one place forever, she has to get out and go to the store and have the pleasure of buying her little odds and ends and treats.

     She did good, I on the other hand got overheated halfway through our shopping trip and had to sit down and drink some water and catch my breath. But we got through it and now we're stocked up again for at least a month. I hope and pray that the next time we have to head out like that the air will be cleaner and the temperatures cooler. 















3 comments:

  1. That sounds rough. I can’t even imagine dealing with smoke on top of all this. So sorry that your great state is dealing with fires once again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know your Mom has COPD. I'm following a blog of a scottish woman with COPD. Well, she claims that going daily to the promenade and absorbing the sea air keeps her alive and sane.This year she has got a portable oxygen device which she carries with her in the car.
    I'm sorry about her health problem, and of course, about the wild fires in your country.
    Wishing you the very Best, Alicia!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you DUTA. Yes, mom was unfortunately a smoker since the age of 14, but oddly enough in 2012 she just quit...just like that! But the damage was done. A few years ago she got bad enough that she had to use oxygen at all times. She had a small device she carried with her, but she hated it and she decided she was going to get better and worked with her doctor to get off of the oxygen and inhalers unless needed. Now she does a daily breathing treatment and stays indoors when the air is bad, but she's a fighter and I'm so proud of her!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment.I would love to know your thoughts!