Monday, February 20, 2017

Georgia O'Keeffe Inspired Red Poppy

I'm thinking maybe flowers are my forte when it comes to painting them. I'm really having good luck with them!

I'm going to be keeping this post short and sweet, but I am just dying to share the Georgia O'Keeffe inspired Poppy painting that I did this weekend!

Here's the original painted in 1927 by the artist Georgia O'Keeffe.

Photo Credit - WikiArt

Stunning isn't it? I love the colors and the blending and shading.

I had help with this of course, because I am very much a beginner. Using a Youtube tutorial by Angela Anderson I was able to paint my own poppy.

Before I show you mine, let me show you the reference photo from Pixabay that Angela Anderson used for her tutorial.

Photo Credit - Pixabay

Compare this photo to the painting by Georgia O'Keeffe! Wow right? The realism in O'Keeffe's painting!

Well I don't want to brag but I'm going to because I'm so darned proud of what I was able to paint thanks to Angela Anderson and her wonderful teaching manner and great tutorials!

Here's my version.


Not bad right?

Can you see why I am over the moon happy about this? This was my second attempt. The first one I botched royally and was so upset with it that I shredded it in the paper shredder before the paint was even dry! I sure hope my shredder doesn't get all gummed up!

For the second attempt I just followed Angela faithfully and listened carefully to her tips and suggestions and watched every one of her brush strokes... and I did this folks! I'm thrilled beyond belief and hope that you love it as much as I do!






12 comments:

  1. Indeed, you've got every reason to be proud of yourself. Your poppy is mind-blowing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did that??? It is absolutely gorgeous. What a gift you have!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes I did that and I'm just as surprised as you are...who knew!?! I'm having a blast with my new hobby and it's nice to see you back!

      Delete
  3. Thank you! Yes I did that and I'm just as surprised as you are...who knew!?! I'm having a blast with my new hobby and it's nice to see you back!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh...that is beautiful! You should be very proud of yourself. I was not expecting something that wonderful as you explained it, then WOW! I love the tinged edges.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rebecca! That is so nice to hear. I am glad you like it. Yes, I am kind of proud of the edges :)

      Delete
  5. how do we purchase your print on this page ?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I finished this one today, myself! I am so proud of my accomplishment! I could not have done it without following it step-by-step from Angela Anderson's tutorial! She is the best! I will post it soon on one of her sites! Yours is absolutely beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Angela is amazing isn't she! I haven't been painting acrylic on canvas all summer because I like to do that at the kitchen table and it's just too hot in there. So I've been art journaling, but I can't wait to get back to it and to see your finished poppy! :)

      Delete

Please leave a comment.I would love to know your thoughts!