Saturday, September 12, 2015

Low Carb - 3 Ingredient - Coconut Macaroons

Oh the sweet crunchiness of Coconut Macaroons! I have always loved them, but I've never made, let alone thought to see if they could be made low carb.




Most of the regular recipes I read said to use sweetened condensed milk, some called for honey, but both of those ingredients are packed with sugar. I found a great 2 ingredient recipe for Macaroons at the blog Rabbit Food For My Bunny Teeth. She used just sweetened coconut and egg white.




I just happened to have recently bought some unsweetened coconut and thought to try it with the egg white and add 1 more ingredient, Stevia sweetener. Because I was using the additional 1/2 cup of Stevia I used 2 egg whites instead of one. 



They came out amazing! Not as pretty as Rabbit Food's but still very light and fluffy and so sweet and crunchy!

Here's the nutrition facts for 24 servings. Very low in carbs! Yes!




I will definitely be making these again!

Recipe - 24 Servings

Ingredients:
2 egg whites
1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
1/2 cup Stevia  ***see edit tip below***

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees and prepare a cookie sheet. I lined it with foil and sprayed it with cooking spray, you could also use parchment paper.

Place egg whites in a bowl and whisk them until white and frothy, they don't have to form stiff peaks, they will still be liquid. Add the Stevia and Coconut and mix gently until completely blended.

Using a 1 teaspoon measuring spoon scoop out the mixture pressing against the side of the bowl to solidly pack the mixture then turn out on the cookie sheet. They don't expand so you don't have to leave a lot of room between them.

Bake for about 10 minutes. If you like you can place them under the broiler for a bit to darken the top but I rather like them light on top and browned on the bottom. Then enjoy!




**Editing Tip - Brought these to share with a co-worker and she told me the Stevia left a bad aftertaste. I did some research and some people do experience an aftertaste using Stevia. When I tried it last night I immediately brushed my teeth so didn't have the aftertaste experience. I ate one today and it wasn't pleasant. Next time I make these I will either completely use Splenda which makes each cookie about 1 carb or I will mix 1/2 Splenda and 1/2 Stevia and see how that is. ***

 

2 comments:

  1. Thank Alicia for another low carb recipe! Pinned!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! I made these to take on my camping trip and then I forgot them! I tell ya! Let me know how you like them.

      Delete

Please leave a comment.I would love to know your thoughts!