Thursday, February 24, 2011

Clinton and Stacie - What Not to Wear, GoodWill Style!

I don't know about you but I love to watch TLC's What Not to Wear hosted by Clinton Kelly and Stacy London.


The show airs on Tuesday nights at 9pm. I've watched it probably since the very beginning. The show has not changed much in the many years they have been on air.

A loved one or close friends nominates someone they think needs a little fashion makeover. Clinton and Stacy's TV crew take secret footage for a while before they accost the poor victim, usually in some very public place surrounded by strangers and friends alike and then proceed to tell the poor victim that not only do they not have any fashion sense, but that everyone but they know it and that they have secret video footage proving it.

Now you would think the poor victim would cry, or run away, or punch Clinton or Stacy in the nose...but they don't. You know why? Because the poor victim is offered a credit card with $5,000 and a trip to New York City to get a makeover and whole new wardrobe, courtesy of TLC!!! Now would you punch Clinton or Stacy if they offered you that? Heck no! You would take them up on their offer in a heartbeat.

Oh....but there is a catch. You have to bring your whole wardrobe to New York with you and what Clinton and Stacy says goes...GOES! Into a big trash can. (It's actually donated to charity.) And...the victim also has to choose 3 of their favorite outfits and enter the 360 mirror. The mirror that shows everything...GOOD or BAD in 360!You know...like those 3-way mirrors in women's fitting rooms but better! Some of those poor woman are shocked when they see what they look like from behind. And while you're in the dreaded 360 you also have to put up with Clinton and Stacy critique of your outfit. Ouch! Sometimes even I cringe.

Allow me to get off subject here for a moment for an observation/pet peeve. Do you know that you have hair on the back of your head? You do? Ok...I do too. So when I do my hair in the morning I make sure to curl, comb, straighten, hairspray the back (depending on the look I'm going for that day). But...tell me this. Have you ever come across someone that looks pretty decent from the front and then they pass you or they turn around and the back of their head looks like it hasn't seen a brush EVER? And it's not one of those messy looks popular now, it's just that they didn't even bother with the back. Geesh...c'mon people!

Ok...whew! I got that out of my system. Anyway, I was talking about What Not to Wear and what the show is about and how much I love it. For those of you who have never seen an episode here's a brief clip of one of their most recent shows. This woman drove me crazy! (What's up with her mouth?)



So now that you know a bit about the show, let me get to the point of this post! My point it that it's easy to come up with an awesome wardrobe when you have $5,000 and a map of all the trendiest stores in New York City and two fashion stylists like Stacy and Clinton. But how about Stacy and Clinton doing a show where they show us regular folk how to dress using clothing from the places we shop, like Wal-mart? Target? TJ Maxx? Ross? Sears? JC Penneys? Or Goodwill *gasp*! I know. Can you imagine how far $5,000 would go in a Goodwill Store? You could almost buy the store!

I would volunteer for that show. I bet Stacy and Clinton couldn't outfit me in two days at a Goodwill! But it would be fun to try.

Oh...by the way. I once gave myself an imaginary $5,000 credit card and proceeded to spend it online pretending I was on What Not to Wear and it's HARD. It's hard to spend $5,000...try it and see.


2 comments:

  1. I really used to like that show but hubby is usually watching Cops about that time. It would not take long to spend $5000 in the New York stores though. I'd love to see what you could get at Walmart and Goodwill.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that show. I saw one a few years ago with a busy working mom who spent everything on her kids. She kept saying "this looks great but i can't justify spending $100 on this or $100 on that" Stacy and Clinton had to come in and make her spend it. I'd gladly trade my entire wardrobe for a chance to start over on someone else's dime ;)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment.I would love to know your thoughts!