Wednesday, October 7, 2020

Inktober 2020 Challenge - Week One

      This year will be my first time joining the Inktober challenge. Inktober was created by Jake Parker in 2009 as a challenge to improve his inking skills and develop positive drawing habits, now thousands of artists take the challenge each year, you can learn more about it here

     Here's a list of the prompts for the month:

Prompts from Inktober website

     The rules are simple:

1. Make a drawing in ink (you can do a pencil under-drawing if you want).

2. Post it - post on any social media account you want or just post it on your refrigerator, the point is to share your art with someone.

3. Hashtag it with #inktober and #inktober2020

4. Repeat the process

     So that's the gist of it. I'm on day 7 which would be one week, so let me show you what I have done so far.

Day 1 - Prompt was "Fish" - I've mentioned that I'm learning the Zentangle process and I had just learned a new tangle called "Harp" and it reminded me of the fins of the Betta Fish or Siamese Fighting Fish, just love those beautiful fish! So here he is, a little fish with attitude!


Day 2 - Prompt was Wisp - This was a tough one for me. I could think of lots of things to draw but didn't trust my drawing skills enough. So this is what I ended up with "wisps of steam" rising out of a coffee cup. 


Day 3 - Prompt was Bulky - As luck would have it, this day I woke up with horrible allergies and my daughter suggested I take a Zyrtec, I did so right about 2pm that afternoon and I didn't wake up until around 11pm, needless to say I did not get one done that day, so I posted this.


Day 4 - Prompt was Radio - The vision of Ralphie and Randy from the movie A Christmas Story instantly came to mind and was the inspiration for this one. I especially love the way the little girls hair turned out.


Day 5 - Prompt was Blade - Again a tough one because I really wanted to draw a sword or a big knife, but I knew everyone would be doing that and I wanted to be unique and different. So I did end up drawing a sword but in the form of the emblem of a local high school. I loved the way the handles on the swords turned out!


Day 6 - Prompt was Rodent - Drawing a rodent was not at all appealing. I could have drawn a dead one in a trap, but that's just sad and wrong, so I decided I wanted to draw a mouse dressed up like a Mariachi, but what I found instead was a a Mariachi with a sugar skull face and that inspired me to draw my little Dia de los Muertos (Day of the Dead) Rodent with a Sugar Skull (Calavera) design!

It's not the best rodent ever drawn, but I think it's the most unique!


Day 7 - Prompt was Fancy - So many things came to mind, but utmost in my mind was the song Fancy by Reba McEntire. I love that song and any time I hear it I sing at the top of my lungs, not worried who is listening! 

In the lyrics she sings "We didn't have money for food or rent to say the least, we were hard pressed. Then Mama spent every last penny we had, to buy me a dancin' dress. Mama washed and combed and curled my hair and then she painted my eyes and lips, then I stepped into a satin Dancin' dress that had a split on the side clean up to my hip.

So I drew a Fancy dress! So far this has been fun and I'm looking forward to the next week. 




Here's the link to Reba singing Fancy, it will bring tears to your eyes.







8 comments:

  1. I love all of your prompts-drawings. I wish I was that creative!
    GOOD LUCK with the challenge in the next weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you DUTA, hoping I can stick with it. I'm glad you enjoyed my drawings. They're very simplistic compared to others, but they are, in my humble opinion, much more creative and unique.

    ReplyDelete
  3. my zyrtec comma lasted ages; I don't dare take the stuff now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not a great pill taker either, it's Allegra for me from now on! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  4. Oh, I can't take zyrtec. Coma is exactly the result. I love your artwork, beautiful. So sorry about those fires out your way. That must be very disconcerting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes Zyrtec and Benadryl, I've learned my lesson!

      Delete
  5. Hey Alicia! Thanks for coming by my blog! Truly appreciate it! Boy, you are doing great for Ink October! Good for you! I am trying to pick a favourite, but they are all good! The rodent is cute! LOL! Big Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm enjoying it! I'm really big on jumping in on these challenges, but seldom finish them. So far so good :)

      Delete

Please leave a comment.I would love to know your thoughts!