Thursday, March 8, 2012

My Random Week

Well...I'm still buried in paperwork at work. I think April is going to be a better month, which is good because if all goes according to plan I'm going to be really busy with a huge project in April. For now I'm just trying to keep my head above water.

Started this week by BBQ'ing on Sunday. Now that doesn't seem something important enough to blog about, but I've actually never BBQ'd by myself EVER! BBQ'ing is kind of a "man thing" in our family and my dad would BBQ every single Sunday for everyone and you always knew no matter what you would get an excellent meal on Sunday.

One thing that my dad always BBQ'd that was a real treat for us was corn on the cob.. in the husk. And I'm proud to say I'm following in my dad's footsteps by BBQ'ing some. Don't they look pretty? I also BBQ'd hamburgers and hotdogs which came out great. Next I'm going to try Chicken. My brother Fred BBQ's the best Chicken!


Also this weekend I went to J.C. Penneys. You know they changed their whole pricing plan? I was really scared that since they were going to be lowering their prices in order to be more competitive that the quality of their clothing was going to suffer...and I was right. I was not happy with anything that they had and even less with items that I tried on. But I did end up finding this beautiful black ring! I had been wanting one forever! I've worn it to work almost every day this week. It's hard to type with it, but doesn't it look good? Sorry for the blurry cell phone picture.



Oh yeah...and also this past weekend I hit the Big Lots 20% sale, and am I glad I did because I found the most beautiful patio table. I know you're probably thinking...well ummm, but it's in your kitchen. Yes...I know. But see, I gave my pretty little country kitchen table to my dad for his new apartment and we had been using my ugly round white plastic patio table and one chair in the kitchen. We only had one chair because the only one who ever sits at the table is my mom. Soon I'll be putting the table outside and I know it's going to be beautiful out on the patio!


And did you know that this week the news sweeping the world is that brooms are standing on end...by themselves? This phenomenon or hoax, depending on how gullible you are is attributed to the spring equinox and the axial alignment as a result of the equinox. Well I heard about it this morning from my local weatherman, Kevin Charette who posted a picture of his broom at home standing straight up unassisted. So I had to try it and lo and behold!!! Voila! See... I did it! I actually left it standing up just like that and later checked with my son and he said it was still standing up! Cool Beans huh?


And this week I've gone back to my low-carb diet in an attempt to lose at least 10 pounds in a couple of weeks because I'm going to a conference with my sister later in the month. So I thought that since it was a little chilly outside, I would try a new recipe that I found on a new favorite blog my sister Lisa recommended called Blue Skies and Yellow Dogs. The creator and author of this super funny blog is "The Zadge" and she posted a recipe she calls White Chicken Chili. It seemed even simple enough for me as not only am I not a big BBQ'er I'm also not a big SOUP'er. The talent for whipping up a soup just eludes me, but this recipe from The Zadge was just the ticket as I was able to make it with a minimum of trouble and it was delicious. I didn't photograph it as well as The Zadge did because by the time I remember to photograph it I already had it in a plastic container for storage, but still it doesn't look too bad...and trust me it was delicious, although I wish I had noticed that she said 2 cans of white beans...I only put one in and it could have used more.


I topped my soup with way too much Monterey Jack Cheese, but trust me...it was delicious and fairly low-carb except for the beans, but since I was short a can that wasn't too bad. My son even liked it and he doesn't like many soups. He had two helpings and I managed to get a picture of his second bowl. He loaded it up with Garlic and Butter flavored Ritz Crackers.



So that's a wrap up of my week. I'm so glad tomorrow is Friday. It's going to be a long, busy day, but at least it's Friday and I have the weekend to look forward to!


So how's your week been? Balance any brooms?

17 comments:

  1. Happy Friday! I hope you accomplish a lot at work today so that you can have a restful weekend. I know exactly what you mean about being so very busy at work. I usually feel like the water is under my nose and I'm treading as hard as I can to breathe.

    Love the patio set. Big Lots has some great things if you take the time to look. I predict you'll enjoy many bbq's this summer. (That corn looks some kind of good.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does feel as though you are drowning at times doesn't it? And you must feel it even more because you have that huge bathroom remodel project. I'm loving that subway tile! You guys are doing a great job. I'm jealous :-D

      Oh Big Lots is one of my favs, next to the Dollar Store! I'm going to turn into quite the BBQ'er! Thanks for stopping by Paula!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. It is pretty cool. I was shocked when it actually worked. The while I was at work I stood all my inkpens and markers up too and they stayed that way all day on my desktop.

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. Regarding the broom trick:

    http://commonsenseconspiracy.com/2012/03/brooms-standing-on-their-own-planetary-alignment-or-simple-question-of-physics/

    If you read the comments to the above article, everything said in the article is balderdash and even solar flares are being attributed. Such is the nature of comments. The body that has the largest variable effect on the Earth is the moon, hence the tides which I would think offer more of a gravitational explanation than the equinox. I think the biggest factor is square cut stiff bristles, despite the many claims of standing angled brooms.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ok, before I reply I'm going to head over to the link you left and see what's what. But it still was pretty cool to be able to get it to stand like that!

      Delete
    2. Well pish-tosh Sextant. It really didn't explain why old brooms stand up and why you feel a sense of energy around the broom when you do it. I still say it's the equinox, maybe with a little help from the solar flares. Weird thing is that on the day I did this my phone lost all it's battery charge and it never does that no matter how long I use it and my PC at work just went out right before lunch and then when I came back from lunch it just started working again! Coincidence or the Universe messing with me? You be the judge!

      Delete
    3. If it is the equinox and you did it at solar noon, it would seem to me the broom should fall toward the equator. The equinox only means that the sun is directly over the equator. Being over the the tropic of cancer on the June solstice would seem to have a more direct over head gravitational pull, but still south from your location, you being about 35 degrees north and the tropic of cancer at approximately 23 1/2 degrees north.

      Have you ever got it to work with an old broom? I am not all that terribly inclined to believe the comments.

      You keep fiddling with those brooms any your going to cause the San Andreas to shift.

      Delete
    4. Ok...I stopped. That remark about the San Andreas scared me to death. That's the last thing we need! Actually I forgot about trying to balance the broom again, so not sure if it would still work or not, but it was fun!

      Delete
  4. Am so glad you enjoyed the Chili!! And while you're at it, could you lose a couple of pounds for me?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Zadge, if only I could lose weight for all of us but I'm having the damndest time just losing it for me. Next time I diet though I'll lose a few pounds for you :-D

      The Chile was delish! Thanks for the recipe!

      Delete
  5. Well, how about that?!?!? I've never heard of the broom thing before. I'm back on my low-carbing it too. I'll wish you luck, and you wish me luck, ok? :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wishing you tons and tons of luck. Maybe we can inspire each other :-D

      Delete
  6. I like my corn on the cob boiled, not grilled.
    Good Luck to you with dieting! In winter, dieting is a lost battle in my case. I'm planning to start the diet (calorie count) next month, after our Passover holiday. Hope to loose some pounds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I prefer my corn on the cob boiled too, but grilling it like my dad does just reminded me of all those Sundays sitting around with him and the rest of my family eating and chatting and just being a family. But the only constant in our lives is change :)

      Good look Duta. I've tried counting calories but unfortunately the only thing I've ever tried that works is cutting down on carbs. It works like a charm!

      Once I get to a satisfactory weight I plan on allowing myself to have a free day on Sundays :-)

      Delete
  7. I definitely have missed reading your posts. That corn on the cob looks superb. Yummy, Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks JarieLyn! I've so missed you too! And I've missed blogging as much as I used to. Hopefully in the near future I can get back to blogging regularly and I hope you do to. I always have loved all your wonderful photos!

      Delete

Please leave a comment.I would love to know your thoughts!