Wednesday, March 29, 2023

By The Sea, By The Stormy, Stormy Sea and The Cemetery Industry

      **This post was written on Friday, March 24th and being published today**

    I've just come back to our hotel room after having the complimentary breakfast at The Embassy Suites in Seaside, California. I loved the oatmeal and the eggs and potatoes, but for the second day in a row they had no BACON, only sausage which I detest!! But it is complimentary, especially for me as this whole trip is paid for by my sisters job.

Embassy Suites in Seaside California

    I took Thursday and Friday off from work and we drove here to Seaside on Thursday. We took our time and stopped in Paso Robles for some shopping at TJ Maxx, one of my favorite stores. Then we decided to eat on the run rather than waste time at a sit down restaurant and we drove through McDonalds, then on to Seaside.

    Seaside is such a beautiful place and the whole drive here was fabulous because we've had tons of rain in California and it now looks like the California I remember when we used to come and visit my dad's family in Santa Maria. Green and lush with beautiful blue skies and puffy white clouds. 

    Thursday night we had a meet and greet downstairs and we barely had time to get ready for that. I always enjoy the meet and greets because they have a bunch of vendors there selling anything and everything associated with cemetery management. Yes...you read that correctly...cemetery vendors. I know for some that may seem shocking, I know it was for me at first, but both my sister Lisa and I have been involved in the funeral industry since 1993. Lisa is now a Cemetery Manager which is why we were here. I left the funeral industry in the year 200o'ish. 

    So the vendors have a lot of unique things they are selling, from cemetery plot mapping by computer to vaults and urns and niche plates. They're a great bunch of people and even though most of them fell into the industry by chance, some felt it was their calling. Lisa fell into it by chance, but definitely it is a calling for her. Her compassion and dedication to service makes her an excellent manager and I am so proud of her.

    Friday I spent the day shopping. There aren't a lot of shopping centers or stores in Seaside or Monterey, I guess they really don't want you to spend your time shopping but they prefer that you go to the Monterey Bay Aquarium and all the little shops along Cannery Row, which is what I did last time I visited. Friday evening there was a special dinner with dancing and a photo booth.

    We took advantage of the photo booth but the pictures were so small they really are not very sharp, but here you go. In the first one we included one of the board members that was there. They had a lot of props and things we could use to make the photos more fun, so these are pretty silly, but we had fun!



    We headed back home on Sunday and as always, there's no place like home, but it was a fun little adventure!




6 comments:

  1. The hotel looks very impressive! It seems a perfect location for a day of fun and socializing.
    In my neck of the woods it's the people of the religious parties that take care of funerals and cemeteries (no women!). They've got monopoly over it. Anyway I'm glad Lisa feels her job is a calling. Few people feel that way, so she's a lucky one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think women are getting more and more involved in the cemetery and funeral industry, which is good. The hotel was very nice, we had a ocean view and they offered complimentary breakfast in the mornings and a complimentary happy hour in the afternoon.

      Delete
  2. So happy you could share this time with me. We made great memories. Thanks for blogging about it so we can remember!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The photo booth pictures look fun.
    I do agree with you although it's enjoyable to go away, there is no place like home :)

    All the best Jan
    https://thelowcarbdiabetic.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Drat! No bacon. It's my experience that's the first to go in these sorts of breakfast set ups .

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a great trip. I was thinking the other day.... the funeral business is a good business, and now I'm reading your post. Hope yoy're doing fine.

    Blue

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment.I would love to know your thoughts!