Saturday, March 25, 2023

Blogging Inspiration - Where do I get ideas from

 I just realized today that when I was blogging regularly I always had a lot of things to blog about, sometimes I would do two or three posts in a day, but then it seemed like the well dried up and it was a chore to think about what to blog about.

Today I figured out where I was getting my inspiration from before! It was from reading other bloggers post. Many times I would read a post and it would bring up a thought or memory and I would write about it. 

I just read a blog post by Urspo at Spo-Reflections titled I Drive Like an Old Woman, you can read his post HERE. His post inspired me to write a story about my dad and when he would take Lisa and I to high school dances.

We grew up in a small community with a high school that probably boasted a whole 200 students grades 9-12. So any event hosted by the school...we were there! 

Because my dad was a farmer, we lived on the ranch outside of town, probably 8 to 10 miles away and we rode the bus to and from school everyday, we weren't city kids by any means. We didn't know what it was like to play with the kids we went to school with. We played with each other and the other kids that lived on the ranch. 

This was our home in Calipatria. This is a more recent photo, but it hasn't change much.


Our schools would host a dance about once a month and Lisa and I have always loved to dance, so we rarely missed the opportunity, but we did twice because of our dad.

The first time that we missed a dance was because dad was driving us to the dance in his pickup truck, it was him, then our mom next to him on the big bench seat, then Lisa, then me. That was way before the days of everyone having to wear seatbelts. 

Dad was talking away to mom and showing her different farms and talking about the crops they were growing. The more dad talked, the slower he drove and I have never been the most patient of people and I really hate being late to anything! So I made the mistake of reminding dad twice that he was driving too slow. The first time he did speed up but then he got to talking again and slowing down and the second time I reminded him he turned around and took us back home...no matter how much Lisa and I cried and pleaded he didn't budge. I think he just wasn't too thrilled about his two little girls going to a dance to dance with boys!

The second time we missed the dance we actually made it to the school. Again we were in dad's truck, but this time mom was missing, it was dad, Lisa and me on the bench seat again with no seatbelts! We drove up to the front of the high school cafeteria since that was where the dances were held and as we drove up this girl was heading in the front door and these boys jumped out of the bushes to frighten her...that was all dad needed to see! No way was he leaving his little girls with these animals and again, no matter how much we cried and begged on the way home, he refused to budge.

Dad was not an unfair man, he did all he could to make us happy, but there were just certain times that he would not budge. 

So thank you Urspo for giving me the inspiration and for jogging my memory.

Alicia

6 comments:

  1. Most bloggers write about culinary or art matters, and I'm not good enough to blog on these matters. So, I have to find my own topics , which is not always easy.
    If your father was so over-protective, he could perhaps stay at the school until the end of the dancing; not a big sacrifice and he would have enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to hear from you DUTA, I think you have so much inspiration because of the way you see the world. I've enjoyed your posts for so long because I find out about places I know I will probably never visit, but through your posts I feel as if I have visited them. My dad was a farmer which meant he was usually at work by 4am, so there is no way that he would have been able to stay at the dance with us. He was very over-protective, but knowing me...who knows what kind of trouble I would have gotten into if he had not been!

      Delete
  2. Always good to read your posts ...
    Take care.

    All the best Jan
    https://thelowcarbdiabetic.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are most welcome. I too get ideas from other bloggers (the dears!) I have learned when an idea pops into my head I quickly write it down for later examination.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do the same thing. Many times I copy and paste the comment I made on a particularly inspirational post and then write around that. Thank you for commenting!

      Delete

Please leave a comment.I would love to know your thoughts!