Wednesday, January 12, 2022

Cabbage Soup

 I've been on a soup kick lately and I think I'm getting the hang of making them. Tonight it is a chilly 55 degrees Fahrenheit in sunny California. I know,  many of you may laugh because 55 is not chilly at all, but we Californians are a different breed of animal, we don't handle the cold well at all, especially Californians born and raised in Arizona as I was!


Earlier today I came across a recipe for Cabbage Food, courtesy of the Food Network Kitchen, here's the link to their soup. I of course modified it a bit and it was a hit with my family so I want to save it for posterity on my blog!


CABBAGE SOUP


Ingredients:

2 T. Olive Oil

4 Stalks Celery diced super tiny

2 1/2 cups shredded carrots- any brand

1 Green bell pepper also diced super tiny

2 Cloves fresh garlic -grated

1 - 14 ounce bag Classic Cole Slaw Mix

2 T low sodium Soy Sauce

1/2 tsp garlic powder

1 tsp onion powder

Salt and Pepper (to taste)

1 - 8 ounce can tomato sauce

1 - 15 ounce can White Beans also called Navy Beans (optional)

4 cups low-sodium chicken sauce

2 cups water

Directions:

1. Heat the oil in a large soup pot over medium high heat, then add celery, carrots, peppers and minced garlic and cook until the vegetables begin to brown and become fragrant, about 5 minutes. Stir in Soy Sauce, garlic and onion powder, 2 teaspoons of salt and 1 teaspoon black pepper. 

2. Add the cabbage to the pot and stir until it begins to wilt, won't take long since it's shredded cabbage and carrots, about 2 minutes. Add the can of tomato sauce, chicken broth and water, stir to combine. Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer and cook until the cabbage is tender, 30 minutes or to suit your taste. Taste for seasoning and add more salt and/or pepper as needed.


My daughter didn't think beans would be a good addition to the soup, but I love beans in soup so I open the can and drained them well with hot water, added about 1/4 to a 1/2 cup in the bottom of my bowl and added the soup on top. The beans helped to cool the soup a bit. I also added a splash of La Victoria. Yum! 

It was just that easy to make a hearty, healthy, satisfying soup for a cold winter day. I know this one is a keeper and I will be making it often!





1 comment:

  1. Looks and sounds tasty.
    Soups are so enjoyable on cooler days.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment.I would love to know your thoughts!