Sunday, March 13, 2016

Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken Lettuce Wraps - Low Carb never tasted so good!

Been a while since I posted anything about my low carb/high fat way of eating. Don't worry...I've still been faithful to it and stuck to the plan.

With that being said today I finally had a chance to cook. It's been a busy few weeks since my last LC/HF post on Super Bowl Sunday. Work has been super busy, we've been preparing for a wedding in the family and I've had lots of chores with yard work since we got quite a bit of rain and the weeds have been growing like...well like weeds!

Started out this morning by making low carb coconut pancakes that I posted about HERE. The recipe is from a wonderful blog called Low Carb Yum...tons of awesome recipes, tips and ideas! What I love about making these is that one batch provides me with enough pancakes to have four each morning at work with my morning bullet proof coffee. Sometimes I top them with fresh strawberries, sometimes some sugar free strawberry jam and sometimes with some sugar free maple syrup. They hit the spot in the morning and I don't feel deprived.

Low Carb Coconut Pancakes with Fresh Strawberries

Then because I knew I was going to be home all day and didn't want to be tempted to eat something I shouldn't (yes...I still get tempted, I live in a home surrounded by carb-o-holics!) I made some deviled eggs.

And my big plan for the day was to try a recipe from All Recipes.com. I get their recipe ideas in my email and I set up an account with them where I can save the ones I tried or want to try. Todays inspiration was Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken Wraps.

The great thing about wraps is that you don't have to mess with eating carby bread or buns or tortillas, just wrap up all that deliciousness in a lettuce leaf!


You would not believe how easy this recipe is. I bought one 12 ounce bottle of Franks Red Hot Sauce and 1 - 1/2 ounce package of ranch dressing mix and 1 1/2 ounce of Green Onion Dip, mixed that all together in a bowl.

Put 2 lbs (I used four) boneless chicken breast in the bottom of your slow cooker, pour the sauce on top, set the temperature to medium, a set the timer for 6 hours and go on about your life.

I did some yard work, washed my bedding and dusted, played with the dogs outside, checked in with friends on Facebook, read a bit of my book and took a nap all while dinner was cooking!


When the timer went off I took the chicken out of the slow cooker and put it in a big bowl and with two forks I just shredded my little pea-picking heart out! I gotta admit I ate as I went, this was soooo good! Spicy and salty and moist and tender!


I strained the sauce that remained in the slow cooker into a bowl to use as a dipping sauce or a topping sauce, depending on which way you roll sauce-wise! Here's my assembly line all ready to go, chicken, sauce and lettuce! Not pictured cause she was shy was my container of Daisy Sour Cream (actually I forgot to include it in the picture). Do a Dollop of Daisy!


Then sat down to this with my beverage of choice, an ice-cold Michelob Ultra, only 2.6 carbs, the lowest carb count of any beer. It went perfect with this meal! If you don't like salty or you watch your sodium intake religiously, then you might not want to spoon the sauce over it. Maybe just eat it with the little bit of sauce as it came out of the pot because it is very salty. But I love Salty, crave Salty, would kill for Salty!!! Ok, drama queen, maybe kill is a bit strong, but I do love Salty and I loved this. I had two and am contemplating another one.

But then again, being an over achiever...I also baked a low carb pumpkin pie! So I might just have a slice of pie!


Oh yeah! Great way to end a great Sunday and begin a new week with Daylight Savings Time change! Which means tomorrow when I wake up at 5am to get ready for work it will actually be 4am! I'm not a happy camper about this!


But then again...there's always pie. Have a good week everyone!

4 comments:

  1. Those wraps look sooooo good! I have had lettuce wraps made by someone else but have never tried them myself. I have a slow cooker and I think I could just about manage to make these.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You seem to invest a lot of time and thought in your food. If it makes you feel better and look better, then it's worth every effort.
    The pictures are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you do try them Pondside. You could also use a different type of sauce, maybe a bbq sauce if your prefer or a jar of salsa? Thanks for stopping by! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you DUTA! I am constantly on the hunt for new low carb/high fat foods that would appeal to me. It's fun! I've never been someone that loves to cook so that makes it a little tough, but that is why I prepare foods on the weekend so I can have left overs the rest of the week and not have to come home and cook every night!

    Thanks, funny that the photos are just with my iPhone :) They make a great camera! Thanks so much for stopping by and commenting, always a pleasure!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment.I would love to know your thoughts!