Monday, November 23, 2015

Easy Low Carb Lunches

With my Low Carb/High Fat way of eating I find that I am more successful when I spending time prepping my lunches and planning my dinners.

But sometimes life gets in the way or I run out of steam and I just don't want to think about or plan a menu for a week of breakfast, lunches and dinners.

Luckily I noticed these little pouches of different flavors of tuna at our local Wal-Mart a week ago. I've bought the regular tuna in pouches and found them to be convenient and just as good as tuna in a can. So I bought three different flavors and I had them for lunch last week, one on Thursday, Friday and one today.

**Thursday: StarKist Tuna Creations, Hot Buffalo Style
I bought this one because I love buffalo wings. I use Franks Red Hot Buffalo Sauce a lot and I love spicy foods so I was really looking forward to this one.

Photo Credit - StarKist

I ate it plain and simple with just some celery and blended in a dollop of mayonnaise. If you are someone that loves to drench your fish in lemon juice then this is the flavor for you. I unfortunately am not one of those people so this was way to lemony for me. Not sure why either because the list of ingredients didn't even name lemon! This was ok, but I will not be buying it again!



**Friday: StarKist Kid's Creations - Bacon Ranch Flavor
I bought this one because I love bacon and I love ranch and because it was for kids and it looked like they are serving it in a taco!

Photo Credit - StarKist

I ate this one the same as I ate the buffalo one, just celery and a dollop of mayo which you can barely see in the photo above. It was good, I enjoyed it and will be buying it again! I didn't really taste bacon or ranch very strongly but it did have good flavor!

**Today: StarKist Gourmet Selects - Mexican Style Tuna
I bought this one because c'mon, I'm Mexican and I love spicy. I loved the idea of having jalapeno peppers in there!

Photo Credit - StarKist

I really liked this one, it had a nice spicy bite. Not so hot that you can't eat it but you could definitely tell there was jalapeno in there. And for having Sunflower Oil in these it was still fairly dry but had a good texture.

Of course I did dress it up a bit adding some sliced avocado, mayo and dill pickle relish and served it alongside a hard boiled egg. I probably could have taken all the ingredients and mixed them together but it made for a prettier serving this way.



These pouches are 2 carbs each and they are 97 cents, so they are a great quick lunch or snack and I will be buying them again. Not the buffalo one but the other two.  I want to try these two flavors as well.

Photo Credit - StarKist
So if you are looking for a quick low carb food give these a try and let me know what you think!

                 

2 comments:

  1. Just curious, I don't much care for tuna, but do they sell a plain flavor in the pouches? That would be the Irishman's version, although I do like JalapeƱo flavor when it is not hot. Looks like a very quick alternative for your low carb lunches. Well done Alicia.

    Have a happy Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do! They do have the pouch with just plain tuna. It's perfect to make just a single tuna sandwich or salad and you don't have to worry about squeezing out the water or oil, depending on how you like to buy it.

      The Jalapeno flavor is not hot hot, but it's like using too much pepper, it has a kick but it's not like you can't eat it.

      Happy Thanksgiving to you as well Sextant! Enjoy!

      Delete

Please leave a comment.I would love to know your thoughts!