Thursday, October 16, 2014

Creamy Chopped Cauliflower Salad and Spicy Cajun Chicken Drumsticks - Another Low Carb Dish

Yesterday I made a yummy Faux Potato Soup trying to duplicate my dad's famous Caldo de Papa. I did it by using Cauliflower instead of super carby potatoes. I thought it came out pretty good. I shared a bowl with my low-carb co-worker and she thought it was pretty good too so I definitely will be making it again and you should too! Trust me, you'll love it!

Because I wasn't sure if I was going to like it I only used half of the head of cauliflower and tonight I used the other half to make a Creamy Chopped Cauliflower Salad. I based it on the recipe from the website Eating Well. You can follow THIS LINK to find their recipe.

I kept to the recipe but made a few changes to try to lower the carbs, which aren't that high to begin with, so if you want to stick to the recipe it wouldn't hurt anything if you follow a low carb lifestyle.

I used:
  • 5 Tablespoons regular Mayonnaise, not the reduced fat
  • 2 Tablespoons Apple Cider Vinegar, I didn't have the regular kind
  • 3 small shoots of green onion, about 3 tablespoons, finely chopped, again...no shallots
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground Cumin, I've never had Caraway seeds and they were $6 for a small container so I looked online to find a something similar to Caraway in taste. My choices were Anise, Dill and Cumin, Cumin was all I had.
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 3 cups cauliflower florets, about 1/2 a head
  • 2 cups chopped hearts of Romaine
  • 1 teaspoon Granulated Splenda
  • 1  1/2 cups of Jicama chopped into small cubes



It was very good. I love crunchy salads and the cauliflower and jicama both gave it lots of crunch. In the picture on the Eating Well site the red apple added a lot of color. I think next time I might add a tomato for color, plus I love tomato!

To make this you:
  • Whisk together in a large bowl the Mayonnaise, Cider Vinegar, Black Pepper, Cumin (or Caraway if you use them), the green onion and Splenda. 
  • Add the Chopped Cauliflower, Jicama and Romaine Lettuce
  • Toss and Serve
  • Makes about 6 servings
I served this as a side dish for one of my old standbys that I've made a million times, Spicy Cajun Chicken Drumsticks. A perfect side dish as the coolness of the salad helps with the spiciness of the chicken.



This was very good and something different from the normal coleslaw I usually eat with the chicken. Oh and by the way the Jicama was very good, not quite as sweet as an apple, but the same texture and crunch.



The Chicken is super easy to make, recipe HERE.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment.I would love to know your thoughts!